Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

carb leaking gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb leaking gas

Went out and fired up my old truck that I've decided to fix up. It has recently starting idling very rough and a little smoke out of the tailpipe. While looking around under the hood I noticed a gas leak coming from the bottom front of the carb and leaking onto the EGR body (i think thats what it is). So I shut it off and tightened the nuts holding the body to the manifold and restarted it. It ran nice for a couple minutes and no leak but slowly started running rough and starting dripping again. I pulled the carb off and looked at the bottom but couldn't see anything on a quick peek. So, I'm wondering if anyone here has heard of this and would a rebuild fix it? Also, should there be a gasket between the egr housing and the manifold...like the one between the carb and top of egr housing?

My truck info:

84 F150
300 6cyl
1bbl carter carb

I should also note that i never noticed this until after spraying some Seafoam "Deep Creep" and Seafoam cleaner through it trying to fix a stalling at stop sign problem.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Can't re member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Usualy when you have a leak at the carb it is because the needle
and seat are worn out. When fuel is pumped into bowl,it raises the float to
a preset level,the float then forces the needle into the seat cutting off
fuel flow. If its not working propperly the carb will over fill and leak.

Rebuilding the carb will fix your problem,while you're in it check the float,
sometimes they leak and wont float high enough to hit the preset limit.

Yes there should be a gasket under the egr plate,and no the Seafoam
should not cause any problem.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the info OldRusty.

I figured I may as well change the float while I have the carb apart. Hopefully a rebuilt carb will fix my stalling problem as well.

I figured there should have been a gasket between the egr and manifold but the was nothing there...just metal to plastic.

Thanks again

Now to see if my chubby unco-ordinated fingers can rebuild a carb...haha
Old 03-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Can't re member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The carb you have is an easy one to rebuild,just follow the instructions
that come with the kit. When you replace the accelerator pump,that
will probably take care of the hesitation.

Pay particular attention to the float setting,and you'll be ok.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:03 PM

Default Just a suggestion

Hey bud, I know that this is going to sound crazy, but check to see if you exhaust is clogged. I'm not very familiar with the carbureted version of the F150, but I am familiar with other make and model's carbs. Sometimes, when fuel is being blown back into the carb, it’s because you’re getting to much back pressure from the exhaust do to a clog. Sometimes, you'll find an old dirt-dobber nest just before the muffler. It will run, but really rough and sputter and, of course, fuel will be found being pushed back into the carb. Good luck and I hope this helps!
Old 03-16-2010, 01:31 AM

hey baba
just came on here and not used to message boards, but thought I'd pass this on to you.
I have an 84 300-6 thats been sitting in my driveway for the last 5 years, but back in the day when I used to get it smogged I used to run into trouble for the same reason. I remember having the issue a couple of times and wish I could remember if I ever got a permanent fix. Kind of ironic I was just thinking of that issue because I was thinking of fixing it uo for my son and wanted to make sure it wasn't an issue anymore. Wish I could be of some help but I'm pretty sure it was/is a common problem with that carb/manifold combo. At any rate when you discover final fix I wonder if you could post it.
Thanks
Old 03-16-2010, 02:55 AM

I have brand new exhaust on the truck because it was rusting and was getting loud. Didn't help my idling issues but made it sound nicer

I've got my carb kit and float on order...should be in by Thursday so I'm hoping to get at it this weekend.

I'll post my results when I change the fuel pump and complete the carb.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:18 PM

I need to do my exhaust and braking systems. I bought my truck off of a friend a while back and it has long pipes, but the driver side has a rust-hole the size of Kansas in it and it sounds nasty. Any recommendations as far as exhaust? I really would like it to sound nice. A slight growl
Old 03-17-2010, 09:52 PM

Yeah mine was pretty bad too. A few holes. I think there was more exhaust coming up from under the truck than the through the tailpipe. And it was very loud.

I can't help with recommendations I'm afraid. All I did was replace from the donut at the exhaust manifold to the tailpipe. Nothing special. Just picked up a muffler at local parts store.

I wish I would have put more thought into it because its too quiet now. But at the time I just wanted a beater truck to do my odd jobs. it wasn't until the last few months that I decided to fix it up and make it a daily driver I can trust to drive longer trips.

So, once I get it running the wayI want...I'll put on a little noisier muffler. Maybe a full exaust job if I can "sell" the idea to the wife!! hehe
Old 03-24-2010, 10:04 PM

OK....so I finally got my rebuild kit and float. Soaked my carb for a day or so. I worked carefully and managed to get it rebuilt!!

I installed it back onto the motor and fired it up.

NEW PROBLEM...my choke won't open. It stays in the closed position and my truck is flooding itself. When I hold the choke open manually...it runs great. I imagine I must have screwed up putting on the choke linkage from the pull-off during re-assembly because it worked perfect before the rebuild. Might have to pull the carb again I guess...hard to get to it while in the truck

Last edited by bababa39; 03-24-2010 at 10:35 PM.

Quick Reply: carb leaking gas