Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Broken Fuel Tank Selector Valve

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broken Fuel Tank Selector Valve

While working on my '86 F150 last weekend my fuel tank selector valve was damaged. I was mad that I would now have to pay for a part that previously had been in perfectly good working order. I wasn't particularly worried about it though, I figured I'd run over to Autozone and pick up another one. Well, so I thought!
I pre-ordered the part online for $59.99 and went to pick it up. When the clerk brought out the part that I ordered it was completely different from mine. That's when another store clerk referred me to a local Ford truck dealer for a new replacement part. I called the Ford dealership to see if they had one in stock. The gentleman from the Ford dealership kindly informed me that they didn't have one in stock but he could definitely get me one the next day....... for $183.99!!!!!! WHAT?!!! "Ummm OK. What time do you guys open tomorrow?"

Yeah right!

I took the broken valve into work to see if I could save it before I would start trying to find one the salvage yards.

So with the background explained:
(sorry about the fuzzy cell phone pictures)
This is the unit with the broken nipple

I cut the broken nipple off on the band saw and set the unit up on the Bridgeport.

Being very careful that I wouldn't breakthrough the adjacent side, I drilled and tapped the housing for 1/8-27 NPT. I then went over to the lathe and turned a new nipple with a 1/8-27 NPT thread.

I then assembled the unit with a little Teflon tape and woo hoo!

$184 saved! Or, so i hope! (while crossing fingers)

Last edited by alwayshear; 12-18-2009 at 03:17 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:41 AM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Good job.
FYI there is a fuel filter in the valve body that can be replaced by unscrewing and removing the bottom bowl part.
I replaced the 'lifetime' filter a couple of times over the years, but kept having trouble. I had a bad tank sender that was sending junk through the system.
Recently I replaced the rear tank and sender. I also replace the OEM valve with an aftermarket electric motor valve and added in line filters in the tank lines.
The OEM valve looks like it could be rebuilt ('O' rings and such), but I have no idea if Ford has a kit for it.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

klricks,

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to keep this project as low budget as possible at the moment. I'm in the middle of an engine swap. Once I know that the truck will, at the very least, start and idle then I can begin to "throw cash at it". If all goes as planned, of course these projects never do, I should be buttoning this job up in a couple of weeks.

Mo'

Quick Reply: Broken Fuel Tank Selector Valve