Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Body swap electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body swap electrical issues

First off I'll give info for the two trucks
My truck: 1982 150, 302 with a c6 tranny 4wd
Donor truck: 1985, 300 s6, not sure on the tranny model 2wd
---Both trucks ran fine before the body swap---
Problem: after I done the body swap, I begin to crank it, nothing happens, duh- forgot to plug up the neutral safety switch. (Before i sat the donor body down I had to swap the chassis harness also so it would plug up with the donor cab). So when I crawl under the truck I see the donor harness has a 4 wire connector and my truck only has a 2 wire switch on the tranny, so I cut the connector off a few inches away from the connector incase I needed to resplice the wires and then I twisted the wires together to see what happens( purple wire, black with purple stripe, and 2 red wires). The truck will only crank if both red wires are twisted with the other two wires( purple and red, black/purple and red), BUT when it does crank, it cranks in the run position and runs in the crank position on the key switch, I know I could just find the two key switch wires- cut and swap to make it work, but I'd prefer it to crank like its supposed to without cutting the harness again.Does anybody know what these two extra red wires are for and what I should do with them IF they're not needed. I just bought a Haynes manual today to use the schematics as reference but figured I'd try yalls knowledge on here too. Sorry if I have put any confusion into my story and thanks for any replies
Old 01-09-2012, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say dont even bother with the neutral safety switch at all. My suggestion is to run a wire directly from the ignition switch to the solenoid. To do this, you pull the 6 bolts that hold the steering column to the bottom of the dash, then locate a red wire on the ignition switch that is skinnier than the others. (it should be second wire up on the left from the far end of the switch on the column.
this is a representaion of the switch. 2 is the wire you will want to connect directly to the third post on the solenoid.

Quick Reply: Body swap electrical issues