Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Back end "sticks" only when cold

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back end "sticks" only when cold

I have a 1984 F150 2WD manual and I've been having an issue with the back end.

Here is the issue: when starting out "cold" (like first thing in the morning, I release the parking brake and put it into N (I live on a steep hill) it should start rolling down the hill, but it doesn't. When I put it into 1st it feels like something is stuck on the back end (seems like left side) and after a few seconds for revving the engine it "breaks free" and all is good. I can park it go into a store, come out and everything is fine. I thought it was the parking brake sticking.

I went into work today and parked on a flat spot and put the trans in R but did not set the parking brake. I work 12 1/2 hour shifts so it sat awhile and when I came out the same sticking feeling was there, so its not the parking brake? When the car is "hot" and doesn't have the issue only when "cold".

Any thoughts?
Old 08-07-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Almost sounds transmission related. Seems like I had a 1980 F150 with an automatic that would act similar sometimes. I would put it in gear, it would still behave as if it were in park. Then it would go, sometimes it didn't happen at all. When was the last time you changed your transmission fluid? Maybe a back flush would help? But, I don't really know what the problem is.....