Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

AC question..

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC question..

AC doesn't work and compressor clutch doesn't kick on.. 1st question is what's the easiest way to bypass the low pressure switch to engage the clutch to make sure it works? Next question (if the clutch engages) which port is the low pressure to add refrigerant? Is it the one on the back of the compressor?, the smaller one?The system has not been retrofitted to 134a so I'm just assuming it's emtpy since it's not kicking on.. I know I'll have to get a retrofit kit..But if it doesn't kick I'll be buying a new compressor I guess.. Anyway Georgia is too hot for no ac.. Any input is appreciated, thanks
Old 08-16-2016, 11:31 PM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

Pull the plug on the pressure switch and jumper the connection (should only be two wires) That said, if there is no freon in the system you WILL be replacing a compressor
The low pressure port is near the evaporator right rear near the blower motor. High pressure is at the compressor. If you know someone who does AC work get them to help convert it. They will have the tools to vacuum the system before the retrofit and can service it correctly with oil and refrigerant.

Hope this helps
Old 08-17-2016, 11:39 PM

Yea I'm just gonna take to my mechanic.. I went to oreillys and they were like all you need is the 10 dollar retrofit kit and put 134 in it.. That didn't work, I actually had 2 different guys tell me same thing up there.. I went to put 134 in it and it would only take about half of the 12 oz can and the compressor would kick on and right back off.. So I'm just gonna take it to a shop.. I don't have a vacuum pump or anyway to recover what's in it
Old 08-18-2016, 06:41 AM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

Tell them it is mixed gas (that way they do not contaminate there stuff and cause problems for you or others when they reuse it after filtering)
Old 08-18-2016, 08:13 AM

Will do

Quick Reply: AC question..