Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

86 F150 Won't Start - Mechanic Novice

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 07:13 PM
New Learner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 F150 Won't Start - Mechanic Novice

Hey guys,
Mechanic beginner here and trying to figure out why my 86 F150 won't start. I've read so many threads on the "wont start issue" my head hurts and unfortunately most suggestions are above my skill level

I bought the truck a year or so ago to learn. It wasn't in great shape but it ran ok and my mechanic buddy who went with me said "If you don't buy it, I am". Anyway, initially I had to replace the carb, that's about it. It ran ok for 6-8 months. Started getting harder and harder to fire up. Then, it started getting harder and harder to stay running once it did fire up. It would run decently for a couple weeks then give me trouble again...and on and on.

I've at least taken care a couple things...Thanks to help from you guys, I diagnosed and replaced the manual fuel pump last year and it worked well. Couple months later, the starter solenoid starting going bad...Put up with the intermittent starting until finally this week when truck stopped turning over all together. Replaced that today and now turns over well. Still won't fire up though. I can see there's fuel in the inline fuel filter coming off of the fuel pump. I know there's a ton of other things to check. But are there a couple "try this first" suggestions that you guys could give to a beginner? I see threads about checking spark, checking pressure, timing, etc. Unfortunately, not really sure how to do any of that. I did pull the top of the distributor cap off and can see that the "rotor" is turning when I turn the ignition...Saw somewhere to check that...I was going to replace the ignition coil next (seems easy enough)? I also saw that ignition control modules can be another issue. Those seem easy enough to replace as well but when I just went out to look at my truck, I realized my truck does not have one?? The wiring harnesses are there but not a module. Is this right? Did some trucks not have them? It looks like a lot of wires inside the engine compartment are either unused or have been unplugged. But, they've never been an issue before. I do remember that the guy I bought it from saying it would never pass emissions tests.

Sorry to ramble...just trying to give an accurate description. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

**EDIT**Meant to mention, it's an inline 6 300 motor

Last edited by BLayson; 02-11-2018 at 07:16 PM. Reason: added engine description
Old 02-12-2018, 03:44 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Checking spark is as easy as this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/in-lin...ugs-69014.html

You will see a arc of spark inside it if the ignition is working correctly.

This can alleviate the ignition as at least good enough to start. The timing comes in to play. What engine? My 86 is a L6 300. So thats what I have to go on.
The following users liked this post:
BLayson (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 08:11 AM
New Learner

Great thank you Tempest. I'll try that this week and report back.

My engine is a L6 300 as well.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:01 PM

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Buy the oldest red-cover edition of Haynes you can find:

(phone app link)

Before Ch.1 is a Troubleshooting chapter that will guide you through the book. But eventually, you should read it cover-to-cover.

You should also spend some time studying the truck and putting ALL its details into your signature here so you don't have to remember to post it every time you have a question, and we don't have to dig back through a thread to find if you remembered to post it.

(phone app link)
BLayson (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 01:30 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

A simple check for spark versus fuel problems is starter fluid. If it starts then dies it's fuel, if it won't even pop it's spark. Assuming that those two are the only possibilities.
BLayson (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 01:47 PM
New Learner

Will do Steve83. Thanks for the tips. I bought the Chilton manual a while back but it sure is in depth. Hopefully the Haynes is easier to understand! haha
Old 02-12-2018, 01:51 PM
New Learner

Thanks a lot BareBones...That's a great, simple thing for me to remember. I should've mentioned in my lead-off post that I have tried starter fluid (into the carb). That's actually how I diagnosed the fuel pump problem a few months ago. It would start up and then die after a few seconds...

Now, it won't even fire up with a shot of starter fluid...By your suggestion, that tells me it's a spark issue?

Thanks
Old 02-12-2018, 02:02 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Spark is more likely. But there's always other things it could be. At least it gives you something to focus on. Confirm spark then move on if that's not it.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:06 PM
New Learner

Will do. Thanks
Old 02-12-2018, 06:27 PM

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Originally Posted by BLayson
Hopefully the Haynes is easier to understand!
Chilton's is essentially the factory manual, edited down. Haynes buys the vehicle, takes it apart, and puts it back together before writing the manual. They still start with the factory manual, but they write for DIYers.
BLayson (02-12-2018)

Quick Reply: 86 F150 Won't Start - Mechanic Novice