Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

85f150 4.9 high oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 06:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 85f150 4.9 high oil pressure

Soooooo the story goes I blew up my original 4.9 due to lack of oil pressure so I got a new one and swapped..............I put a brand new oil pump on before I even installed it. Now ever since I have gotten it running the oil pressure has been pegged at max. I thought at first maybe it was the new pump or my guage or something until I started getting oil blowing out my dipstick. I have tried adding detergents to try to clean out any blockages and I have pulled out my POV valve but nothing has changed. So here’s the question—has anyone else ever had this happen if so what was it and does anybody have any ideas. I don’t think it’s blow-by because I’m not burning oil and I know it’s not the gauge cause my temp is running hot too and I know that can be a side-affect.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:40 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Question

WHere did you get the engine? Junkyard, Jasper ??? You could have 100lb oil pressure pump and it shouldnt come out of the dip stick.

Blow by put oil out of dip stick.

Is it over filled with oil? I was helping a kid with his Pontiac wagon and he said he added 6 quarts. Hard to start. I said drain all of the oil and see how much you get. Yup 12 qts.

Put 6 back in and it ran fine. Might be your case. You could pull the valve cover and see if you are getting oil to the rockers. An obstruction could def cause high oil pressure.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:47 AM

I got the engine from a guy a couple hours from where I live. It’s not over full, and it’s a standard volume oil pump so I dont know what the deal is. I did an oil change and put some additives in it an I have less coming out the tube but my gauge is still pegged at max. I’ll see about pulling the valve cover some time next week
Old 10-26-2017, 02:42 PM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Here's how to test your hypothesis of "no blow by": Remove the distributor and get an oil pump priming tool, attach to your electric drill, and manually run the oil pump. If you get high oil pressure and oil out the dipstick, then you have eliminated the blow-by as the cause. If, however, you get only high oil pressure, then all you've done is confirm that you have more than one issue... blow-by and clogged oil ports. Have you taken off your valve covers to see what kind of gunk is built up there? Old oil likes to crystallize and gather up there.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:50 PM

I don’t get oil out of the dipstick at idle and I don’t even when I rev the engine whenever the truck is not moving. I haven’t taken off the valve cover yet.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:44 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

is it the dash gauge that is pegged?? You might have an issue with the gauge and not the oil pressure. I would buy a cheapo mechanical gauge and see what it reads..
Old 10-30-2017, 08:48 PM

I’ve been thinking the same thing but I’ve been tight on money so I haven’t bought one yet. It will be the next thing I try.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you still getting oil blowing out of the dip stick?
Old 10-30-2017, 11:16 PM

I’m getting less but still a little
Old 10-30-2017, 11:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a used engine? Can you run a compression test? Because there is only one reason for oil to be coming up out of the dip stick, and you're not gonna like it