'83 F150 2WD 4.9 Project - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

'83 F150 2WD 4.9 Project

Old 05-15-2018, 03:21 PM

Default '83 F150 2WD 4.9 Project

Hello Ford community! I've always wanted to do a restore and I've finally bought a truck to do one. I'll post some pictures soon of the current condition and the project as I go. I'm a mechanic in the Air Force and tinkered with cars and bikes before joining. I know HOW to work on cars, however this is my first restore, AND the first Ford I've ever owned. I'll be searching this forum and leaning on you all a lot, so be ready. I'm going to list what I want to start with and if you can give my and suggestions or guidance it would be appreciated.

Phase 1: The bed
I'm going to remove the bed entirely and build a custom wooded flatbed. I'm a wood worker in my spare time so this will be very easy. While I have the bed off I'm going to get rid of as much rust as possible and do a good undercoat of everything.

Phase 2: Light engine/suspension/tires
I'm looking at replacing the following items, mainly because I know VERY little about the truck and want it to last a while.
Front/Rear Struts/springs
Starter Solenoid (grounding issue I need to fix)
Wheels/Tires: the tires are BALD so i'm going to replace with cheap 235/75/15s
In a future phase I will be replacing wheels and tires with 33's once I get a small lift.

Phase 3: Body work
Front fenders and both rocker panels are pretty rusty. I'll look at a JY first but may bondo fix if I can't find anything.
Once the bed is complete and rust gone, I'll be painting the truck black and polishing all the chrome.

Any thing I should know or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2018, 11:20 PM

Here's what she looks like now. More pics as the project goes on.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:59 PM

I have a RWD truck and want to use the HD coilovers for a 4WD. The 4WD has a longer extended length by about 3 " and longer contracted length by about 1 ". Should I be ok using these? I will be installing a solid wood bed which will be considerable heavier than the stock bed so I want some added strength back there.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:58 PM

Default Quick update

Had some free time and started tinkering with the interior panels.

Old

New

Custom walnut handle

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '83 F150 2WD 4.9 Project

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: