Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

351W HO (Underhood clean-up)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 03:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 351W HO (Underhood clean-up)

Just purchased a 1986 F-150 4x4, C6, reg cab, short bed, with a 351W HO over the weekend. The original owner put another Holley 4180 back on it a little over a year ago. As I have been reading, the Holley 4180 is junk, and I DO NOT have to pass emissions in the state of TN.

So what can be done to wake up this motor well and clean the absolute mess of vacuum hoses all over the engine? It IS a factory A/C truck so I know that I will have to retain vacuum for the HVAC controls, brake booster, modulator for the transmission, and for the timing advance off of the distributor. Is there anything else I am missing?

Other plans include: putting an Edelbrock 1406 carb and matching Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and Hedman shorties on it which are all in the garage for such an occasion. I also plan on removing all of the thermactor lines and capping the back of the heads with the correct smog block off plugs from Summit/Jegs, plus removing the EGR system since the Edelbrock Performer does not have provisions for it.
The following users liked this post:
stephenwalton (08-04-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 04:15 PM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I used to have a pickup with the same specs as you mentioned above... It didn't have any of the computer/EFI stuff and was old-school carb from the factory.
You could:
  • Remove the evap canisters and the hoses that sip fumes off the gas tank. Vent that to atmosphere.
    • Issues include gas fumes in the cab, water/condensation in the gas tank, and lower performance
  • Plug off the EGR under the carburetor and then vent the Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve to atmosphere
    • Issues include oil smells in the cab, smoke from under the hood, fuel smells from the exhaust, and oil dripping onto the ground
  • Remove the catalytic converter and air pump for increased exhaust flow and less accessories on the engine
    • Issues include smelly exhaust and backfires
  • Take off the throttle kicker hose and bracket
    • Issues include the engine dying when the AC turns on
  • Remove the vacuum tube that goes to the vacuum modulator
    • Say goodbye to downshifts when you push the gas pedal

Or you could keep the hoses stock, replace them like you're supposed to, and have a nice running, non-smelly, non-polluting engine.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool, thanks for advice. I just picked up the carb and intake today to replace the stockers. Had no idea the evap canisters sucked fumes out of the gas tanks. I’ll look into that when I start working on it.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:53 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Maintenance is better than modification.
http://www.fourdoorbronco.com/board/...ssions-Systems

Quick Reply: 351W HO (Underhood clean-up)