Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1984 Front Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1984 Front Wheels

It's been several years since this truck was my daily driver until a few months ago. Since I started driving it daily, I've noticed the front wheels starting to lean inward at the top - first very slightly then more as I drive it. I haven't looked in a while until today and thought WOW !
Is it normal for something like this to happen over a short period of a few months ? Nothing seems to be loose or wore out that I can see underneath, and it drives good, except I am parking for now so I don't ruin my tires. What could have caused this so quickly ? Hopefully you can tell what I'm talking about in the photo below.....The lean is about the same on both sides.

1984 F150 SC - 208k miles

Last edited by F1501984; 07-18-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:12 AM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Since it's both sides, there's only a couple of things it could be. The first (and most likely) is the ball joints. These are mounted on the lower control arm and control the lean of the tire/wheel when turning. They get weak over time and can allow the wheel to pitch on its own. If both go out, it could cause the squat like in the picture above. Both sides should probably be replaced.

Second, (and less likely) is the springs. If your springs are weak, broken, or artificially heated (like with a cutting torch), then the full weight of the vehicle isn't being supported like it's supposed to. This could cause the front to sag and the wheels to pitch outward at the bottom (like in the picture).

Still, since this vehicle is so old (like 34 years old), your best option is to replace all the ball joints, tie rod ends, adjustment bands, rubber bushings, shocks, and any other wearable part to make the vehicle's steering and suspension fresh, new, and safe to drive again. You'll also likely need an alignment after doing this work.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Braggs
Since it's both sides, there's only a couple of things it could be. The first (and most likely) is the ball joints. These are mounted on the lower control arm and control the lean of the tire/wheel when turning. They get weak over time and can allow the wheel to pitch on its own. If both go out, it could cause the squat like in the picture above. Both sides should probably be replaced.

Second, (and less likely) is the springs. If your springs are weak, broken, or artificially heated (like with a cutting torch), then the full weight of the vehicle isn't being supported like it's supposed to. This could cause the front to sag and the wheels to pitch outward at the bottom (like in the picture).

Still, since this vehicle is so old (like 34 years old), your best option is to replace all the ball joints, tie rod ends, adjustment bands, rubber bushings, shocks, and any other wearable part to make the vehicle's steering and suspension fresh, new, and safe to drive again. You'll also likely need an alignment after doing this work.

Thanks Braggs. I didn't mention that I replaced the lower ball joints, the drag link or center link and tie rods ends in 2012 and it's been driven very little until just recently. I did use cheap ball joints though, but they do still look good appearance wise but I guess they could still be bad, and I don't think my springs would have given out so suddenly. If it the ball joints, how can I verify ? I've owned this truck since new and nobody but the wife and I have ever driven it, and this is the strangest thing I've ever seen happen to it. A couple of months ago both wheels stood straight, and little by little with daily driving they started falling inward.

And then someone also reminded me that this truck has the Twin I-Beam suspension, could that also cause this ?

Last edited by F1501984; 07-19-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by F1501984
Thanks Braggs. I didn't mention that I replaced the lower ball joints, the drag link or center link and tie rods ends in 2012 and it's been driven very little until just recently. I did use cheap ball joints though, but they do still look good appearance wise but I guess they could still be bad, and I don't think my springs would have given out so suddenly. If it the ball joints, how can I verify ? I've owned this truck since new and nobody but the wife and I have ever driven it, and this is the strangest thing I've ever seen happen to it. A couple of months ago both wheels stood straight, and little by little with daily driving they started falling inward.

And then someone also reminded me that this truck has the Twin I-Beam suspension, could that also cause this ?
Get a friend/spouse/etc to help you. Jack the front end up and grab hold of the tires at top and bottom and pry back and forth while the other person watches underneath to see where the steering parts move. Then grab it on the front and back of the tire and pry back and forth that way while the other person watches to see what moves. If anything moves, replace it.
The following users liked this post:
F1501984 (07-19-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 09:11 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Spring sag would affect ride height moreso than camber; that's either ball joints or wheel bearings. If braking has become unresponsive, it's wheel bearings. Otherwise, it's probably ball joints. If the lowers are new, check the uppers.

(phone app link)

If you can't find it, take it to an alignment shop. They may charge you to inspect it, but if you let them align it later, they may credit back some of the inspection cost.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Steve83
Spring sag would affect ride height moreso than camber; that's either ball joints or wheel bearings. If braking has become unresponsive, it's wheel bearings. Otherwise, it's probably ball joints. If the lowers are new, check the uppers.

(phone app link)

If you can't find it, take it to an alignment shop. They may charge you to inspect it, but if you let them align it later, they may credit back some of the inspection cost.
Front end is normal height, ride is smooth with no bouncing or springing and no bottoming out, ever, even crossing holes or big bumps. Brake response is excellent, steering is excellent, no pull to right or left when I let go of the steering wheel going down the road.. I looked this weekend and didn't find anything amiss but I didn't have help so could have missed something like upper ball joints. Upper ball joints is one thing that did not get replaced when I did front end work a few years back. I replaced calipers 5 years ago and replaced wheel bearing at the same time. I will pay an alignment shop to check it out for me next week and post back here what they tell me..
Old 07-23-2018, 06:42 PM

Couldn't wait. Put it in the shop this morning, got it back about noon. Just bad out of alignment. I asked specifically about upper and lower ball-joints, wheel bearings and springs, all are good. Wheels are super straight vertically no matter how flat or rough the surface is that I'm parked on. Overall, the front end is in good condition, they just recommend having it aligned every year or two. Ill post new pictures later.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:44 PM

Glad you figured it out, but how could it get so far out of alignment? Your initial post said it became progressively worse... were the adjustment bands loose? Is someone playing a prank on you? This just seems odd because it's not supposed to happen like that.

Quick Reply: 1984 Front Wheels