Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1983 key and steering locked

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1983 key and steering locked

Hi - I've driven my 83 since 86 and never had this happen before. Ive searched the forums and found enough posts to know that having a locked steering column and ignition switch is not uncommon. I pulled off the side of road onto uneven ground, so though I didn't notice it may have rolled in a dip as I turned off the key. Now the wheel us stuck and key won't turn. The steering wheel is slightly turned, about 45 degrees to the right of center. The ignition key turned easily prior, so It does not seem to indicate a gummed up rod or tumbler. Here's what I've tried:

a different key

jiggling the the wheel and key ( a good hour of trying)

removing the lower column cover cover to see if I can manually move the rod down using pliers to start engine. Only a slight play (few millimeters) which matches play in key tumbler.

shined light into tumbler to see if foreign object or metal debris (none)

sprayed compressed air and wd40 into tumbler

based on reading the forums, I tried to muscle the steering wheel back left ( no budge)

tried to yank front tires left ( good luck with that)

I read a post from a ford mechanic who wrote about the importance of a being at a full stop when turning off ignition to prevent lock up - but he never shared what to do to free it up again.

so how do I tell if:

the tumbler died and is preventing rod actuation and column release

or the rod is stuck and preventing tumbler from rotating

or all this is stuck because the steering column is jammed?

I want to avoid pulling wheel and replacing tumbler only to find it was ok to begin with and my steering is still locked.

If the steering column is truly stuck, is there a way to free it other than muscling the steering wheel?

Thanks for any help. I'm loaded down with firewood and need to get more to keep warm this winter, but right now I'm stuck.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:54 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

The problem is that you turned the engine (PS pump) off before neutralizing the steering (like automatically happens on flat surfaces). So the pump was helping hold the wheels in-position while the engine was running, but it's not now. And AFTER turning it off, you snapped the key back to LOCK so fast that they couldn't neutralize before the column caught on one of its lock notches. Now, all that force (without power assistance) is being applied to the steering column lock, which is so high that it prevents the key from withdrawing the lock (or it makes it so difficult that you can't/won't turn the key that hard).

(phone app link)

The solution now is either to relieve that steering force (by jacking the front wheels off the ground, which may not be safe on uneven ground), or to counter it manually (by pulling the steering wheel in the opposite direction - which may be difficult to ascertain - just until it begins to move, when the lock will be loose & the key will turn).

Next time, wiggle the steering wheel BEFORE turning the key off; &/or turn the key ONLY far enough to stop the engine, THEN wiggle the wheel after it dies, THEN turn the key back to lock & take it out. It's an old, worn truck - you have to treat it differently from a new one.

Last edited by Steve83; 09-13-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:38 PM

Thanks for your help. I jacked up tires, and still could not muscle wheel to relive pressure. Had someone hold jumper wire at starter to turn belt on PS pump while I tried to turn wheel, but still no budge.

Is is there another way to reduce pressure? For instance, by removing the pump? Thanks again.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:45 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Instead of working the wheel while jumpering the starter relay, try the key. If the pump is spinning it might take some of the load off the lock pin.

No, removing the pump will have no effect on the force of the tires pushing back against the steering column lock. The lock notches are on the front of the steering wheel hub, so removing the steering wheel would certainly release the lock pin (which SHOULD allow the key to turn, assuming this is the problem).

(phone app link)

But I'd have sworn jacking up the front tires would do it, too; so there may be some other problem with the lock cylinder. Are you sure you're using the correct key? I've encountered owners who accidentally switched keys more than once, which is why I have to ask.

I've also seen (although I don't really recommend it) wrecker drivers who need to straighten an old Ford's wheels to haul it off pressing HARD against the Left side of the steering wheel (about 8 o'clock, directly opposite the lock pin) and hammering the wheel with their fist to get it to jump a notch & straighten the front wheels. If you can do that, it would release the lock pin without pulling the wheel.

(phone app link)

Last edited by Steve83; 09-13-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:45 PM

Default Free!

Steve - Thanks for your help! I put the key nice and straight in tumbler and hit it medium hard once with a hammer and the ignition freed up. Time to unload firewood!

Quick Reply: 1983 key and steering locked