Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1980 f100 drift truck.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 01:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1980 f100 drift truck.

1980 f100 4.9L carbed 2WD single cab short box, toploader standard.
I'm new, yes. I've only come to this forum because the internet/ world seems to lack parts for these trucks, and what they do have is either universal or down right not what I'm looking for. So I've got some questions for this project.

Engine swap: 351 or 302? What's the easier one to mod. I'm looking for an early 90's efi engine to put in. What parts should I get just to make the back tires scream and spin like mad. Enough to drift at least. Turbo? Supercharger? Or is that even needed you figure?

Suspension and handling: adjustable coil overs? Where can I find some for this ride? Front and if needed rear? Sway bars? Front and rear aftermarket reliable disc brakes?

Lastly. Wheel spacers, rims and tires.

Moneys not an issue. A parts list would be huge followed by links if you're kind enough. And if you've got input on what should be done to make it work (example) remove the tailgate to save weight" kind Of ****. Fire away!.. I need guidance for this. I've found a job on the rigs in Edmonton JUST for this project. That is how devoted I am. I'm going to do it.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:31 AM

1980 f100 drift engineswap parts help
Old 01-24-2014, 01:39 AM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

302's have been around for a long time and seem to be more popular thanks to the Mustang culture. They have several upgrades you can do to them. Edelbrock has a lot of 302 stuff. There are some vendors on here in the vendor section that could help as well.

The 351's are a powerhouse if you can find the right one, but they are a little harder to get modified like the 302. That being said, boring and stroking a 351 will get you neck snapping power if you are able to do it right. If money is no object you might be looking at some serious head and intake porting/polishing.

With the 302 you can readily find DPI aftermarket heads like Dart. That will get you a lot of programmability out of any tune you put to the engine. It's been quite a while since I've been in the small engine rebuild world, so I'm not sure what all is out there anymore.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:05 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by toyboytoh
Engine swap: 351 or 302? What's the easier one to mod. I'm looking for an early 90's efi engine to put in. What parts should I get just to make the back tires scream and spin like mad. Enough to drift at least. Turbo? Supercharger? Or is that even needed you figure?
While the 351 is torquey, there's alot more stuff for the 302, as it has a much more performance following due to the mustang. And yes, N/A or near stock, these motors aren't exactly "screamers". I'd be looking at a turbo set up, which shouldn't be a problem space-wise. I'd look into perhaps a late model Lightning model motor though if you're on a budget. If my budget allowed, I'd try to find a wrecked 5.0 or 3.5 Ecoboost.

Originally Posted by toyboytoh
Suspension and handling: adjustable coil overs? Where can I find some for this ride? Front and if needed rear? Sway bars? Front and rear aftermarket reliable disc brakes?
In 1980, the truck was designed to drive through a field, not take a corner side-ways. I'd imagine you'd need a roll cage, frame reinforcement (along with notching it to get it as close to the ground as possible), bigger rear tubs to fit wide tires, custom front and rear suspension (not sure what that would all involve), and yes, bigger brakes and axles.

Honestly, this is probably a better job for a Ranger on a full tube chassis and suspension. Just mount a new 5.0 with some N/A goodies in it and go have fun.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:14 AM

I understand and have heard before about the ranger being the all around better choice for this kind of thing but it remains as is. A ford f100 drift truck. Not a ranger. They're common. That's why I want to go outside of the box. I see lowered lifted and stock ones but nothing that resembles the other two. Trophy truck or drift. So that's why I'm hard set on the current vehicle I have to mod. So 302 it is with either a supercharger or turbo. Anyone know of suspension, brakes, tires and rims?
Roll cage is a given BTW. And thank you for the quick replies. Beating around the internet for existing threads sucks and is usually a failure.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:19 AM

Im a 351w man they aer as many parts for it as they are for 302 there is not much size are wight diff but a lot better motor and more power some of the 80-81 models have small bolt pattern rims not as strong as big bolt patern
Old 01-24-2014, 02:27 AM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

I would look at some Brembo or similar style heavy duty race brake systems. With a cage and the other modifications you will be heavier than what the original brakes were meant to deal with. Along with that I would consider some 18's or possible 20's for rims. Keep in mind you want the bigger rim to accomidate the bigger brakes.

As far as the frame, I would fully box it and drop the whole truck at least 4 inches. Also look at some torsion bars and maybe a 4-link. You could also cut down the axle to fit the tires up under the body. Then you could drop it even more for a lower stance. Tires are completely different for each track/road condition for what you will be on.

A turbo system on the current 5.0 motor would net you the most power, but it would have to have a stand alone ECM for the motor and a custom tune for your application. That being said you should have more than enough room in your engine bay to put a hell of a system. For the same price you can get the blower, or for a little cheaper you can get the procharger. The procharger has a thread already. Might be something to look at. Here is that thread.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/2011-2...harger-235117/

I would personally keep the solid rear axle instead of trying to do an independant rear swap for durability. So any stabilization of that would be key to how the truck would perform. That's about all I have.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:29 AM

I would also look for a taper bearing 9 inch rear it takes side loading better then big or small bearing rear
Old 01-24-2014, 02:34 AM

Ah sweet thank you guys. Gonna out some ricers to shame. Mostly civics lol and some big trucks won't know what passed them.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:39 PM

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a 2wd 85 stepside, I am building a 5.8 for that with a supercharger, but its going to be carbed. I have ladder bars for mine, and am getting a tremec 5 speed tranny. I have a 9 inch for it i gotta rebuild. But its really all up to you, its your truck!

Quick Reply: 1980 f100 drift truck.