Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1979 f150 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 f150 wont start

new to forums.. anyways I picked up a 1979 f150 with a 351m 4 speed dana 44 front axle pretty clean for $500. anyways it just cranks and wont start it has spark at the plugs doesn't show any signs of life at all with starting fluid.. previous owners tried to get running and couldn't.. pulled the distriber cap off and checked tdc with cyclinder 1 and was firing on 5.. way off anyways fixed that and still no signs of life at all.. compression was 100-125 on all 8.. pretty far off not exactly close but wouldnt that cause it not to start?
Old 12-25-2013, 07:40 PM
meb

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You got fuel? Spark yes! Compression ok!

If you got fuel....then its the timing. You are going to have to move the dizzy systematically.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:23 PM

that is the distributor right? if so have tried that already still nothing at all
Old 12-27-2013, 11:25 PM

I have a 79, and sometimes the steering columns need to be moved just a little bit to get it to fire. Also, I used to pull one of the wires from the starter solenoid (on the passenger fender well), which is a pretty darned effective anti theft system.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:35 PM
meb

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

David, in all due respect are you drinking? Not too sure what you post has to do with the problem!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:20 AM
old school

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

might be coil, just because you have spark does not mean the spark is hot enough to do the job. does the motor spit back, if so timing is off or plug wires crossed. Need 12 volts to dist., and condenser in cap in good shape. Bushings in dist. shaft might be worn out, grab rotor button move shaft and check for side play. If you are spraying starting fluid and nothing happens I would think it is a electrical issue for sure, unless valves are stuck or sticking.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:00 PM

My first thought would be electronic ignition module, the gray box on left side inner fender. On '79 they were still notorious to leave you stranded. There is no real good way to trouble shoot it either. Unless you have another from a running vehicle that would plug up to test. Next stop would be the stator in the distributor. With a volt meter you should get just a fluxuation across it. That would be best checked with a meter that had a needle they were very common in '79 before the digital meters came out. LOL May find an old mechanic that still has one tucked away with his timing light and distributor wrenches. Good luck. Sounds like you got a good one there.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:31 AM
old school

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stan5686
My first thought would be electronic ignition module, the gray box on left side inner fender. On '79 they were still notorious to leave you stranded. There is no real good way to trouble shoot it either. Unless you have another from a running vehicle that would plug up to test. Next stop would be the stator in the distributor. With a volt meter you should get just a fluxuation across it. That would be best checked with a meter that had a needle they were very common in '79 before the digital meters came out. LOL May find an old mechanic that still has one tucked away with his timing light and distributor wrenches. Good luck. Sounds like you got a good one there.
You are so right on this.(electronic ignition module,) Had that problem in the past. Purchased a new one, then went to junk yard found one then tested it on truck, took it off and put it under seat for spare. When it goes out you are SOL (S--T OUT OF LUCK)

Last edited by sideoiler; 01-04-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:37 PM

ok so took motor down to heads checked everything.. timing chain skipped replaced it put it all back exactly how book told me to.. anyways it now backfires out of carb with timing tdc firing on cylinder 1.. checked timing over and over and over flipped distributor still just huffs and puffs but will not run.. any ideas? has to be somthing simple im just overlooking and rebuilt the carb aswell heads up is all new and all perfect
Old 01-12-2014, 09:53 PM
Big Red

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Neutral safety switch?

Quick Reply: 1979 f150 wont start