Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1978 F100 Fuel Tank switching??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1978 F100 Fuel Tank switching??

Hi All,

I've just joined as I just picked up my imported a 1978 F100 and this should be the place to get the right information as us Brits don't have so many people to ask concerning these trucks.
First up, I thought I had broken down the way home from the port but eventually realised I had run out of gas in the front tank. I had brimmed the rear one but should have split the fuel 50/50 until I know how this puppy works.
Any advice on how to switch the tanks?
It would seem maybe only the front one is linked to the fuel gauge. I switched what could be the switcher but nothing happens. The fuel in the front tank does register on the gauge though.
There is no switch on the floor like the pre 78's and the aftermarket switch I can see near the wipers only has three terminals but the online info seems to show 5 terminals on an electrical tank switcher.
Any thoughts? Sorry for blabbering on!
Del
Old 01-05-2017, 03:30 PM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Likely a lever on the floor on the driver's side for your year. The other location (1980+) is on the air conditioner control panel.