Topic Sponsor
2021+ Ford F150 Discussion of the 14th generation F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who did it better 19 Ram or 21 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 02:16 PM

Received 148 Likes on 86 Posts

Default Who did it better 19 Ram or 21 F-150

Coming from a 2019 Ram Laramie owner with 40k miles driving to a 2021 F150 powerboost lariat owner with 8k miles now.
  1. Power: hands down Ford with the powerboost.
  2. Interior door lock trim: Ram wins, reason Ford uses low quality plastic, just put your fingernail on the area where the lock unlock buttons are and you will never get the scratches out. There is no part on a Ram where that is possible.
  3. Interior overall: Ram, it just is 100% higher quality than the materials used in the Ford. It seems to flow better with the connection of the pieces, no big gaps they where all symmetrical. The Ford has pieces that have bigger gaps on ones side than the other the materials especially the door lock button area is extremely easy to scratch.
  4. Transmission: HANDS DOWN RAM, this powerboost I have is the worst trans I’ve ever used. Shifts stupid soft then hard from 1-3 and jerks the truck this happens 90% of the time. Also, sometimes down shifts while coming to a stop slams into gear jerking me forward. The Ram was smooth 99% of the time. I drive the 21 F-150 the same as I drove the 19 Ram. I’m sure Ford can easily fix this with a software update though.
  5. Gas mileage: Ford wins, my life time average is 19.6, there are plenty of times I’ve gotten over 21mpg in the Ford one time after a 68 mile drive doing 65mph I averaged 26mpg. Best I did in the ram was 21.
  6. Drive ability: Ram Wins, again this is due to the crap transmission in the 21 F150. I’m sure the trans isn’t crap it’s just the software that is crap. If Ford can fix this with a software update Ford would win. The Ford is fun to drive like a bat out of hell but not for normal driving. Ram power was smooth and consistent driving it hard or casual.
  7. Lane keep: Ram wins, it works consistently not randomly like the my 21 f-150. You can only use the fords while not in cruise control. I’ve had several times where the truck went over the line and never warned me at all. I’ve adjusted all the settings for this in sync 4 also. This has led to me not trusting the software in the truck.
  8. Lane Centering assist: Ford wins by default, because Ram does not have this. Also, I have the co-pilot 360 Active assist prep kit (doesn’t matter yet though) However I don’t have to much trust in this either, there is plenty of times where it just won’t work or there are parts of the road where it wants to turn HARD AND SHARP TO THE RIGHT. Sometimes it just cancels and won’t work again until I stop and turn the truck off and open the door and let it turn off completely. Very frustrating because this was one of the main reasons I wanted the Ford.
  9. Entertainment system: tie. They both are nice both are 12in screens and work well.
  10. Blind spot monitoring: Ram wins, Ram warns you with an audio tone if you try to switch lanes with a car in your blind spot. Ford only makes the symbol on the mirror flash.
  11. Back up auto breaking: Ram wins, again it was consistent working 99% of the time, however it sometimes it was to sensitive. To be honest the Ford I just don’t trust due to all the other software problems it’s showed me.
  12. Parking sensors: Ram wins, you could easily turn the front or back off with a switch on the dash. Ford I have to go into the menus and can only turn them all off not just the front or back.
  13. Front parking sensors: Ford wins, because once you get close to an object Ford turns on the camera to, Ram does not do that. Fords does seem to be less sensitive than the Rams and doesn’t give you much warning though.
  14. Headlights: Ford wins, I have the ones that turn when you turn the wheel. While Rams where bright it did not have this feature unless you upgraded to a limited package.
  15. Interior storage: Ram wins, while the F-150 is spacious you just can’t beat the Rams center console storage area.
  16. Rear seats: Ram wins, again it’s the quality that sets the ram apart it was just more premium, especially the center arm rest the whole back of the seat came down and you had another storage console. The Ford is just a middle piece of the seat that comes down while effective it just falls short of the Rams. Also the rear seats reclined in the Ram and it seemed roomier than the F-150. The rear seats where longer also on the Ram making it more comfortable.
  17. Front Seats: Ram wins, for me I just can’t seem to get 100% comfortable in the Ford. The Ram I was able to set it and forget it, I could rest my arm on the door and the center console while having my hand in the wheel. The Ford I can get comfortable for a little while then need to adjust again either the wheel or the seat or sometimes both.
  18. Cooled Seats: Ram wins, again it’s because of how consistent the ram is, the Ford seems to blow great sometimes then sucks really bad others
  19. AC recirculation: Ram WINS HANDS DOWN. With Ram when I turned it on it stayed on, the Ford seems to do whatever the f#ck it wants and just randomly turns off every 5 mins or sometimes it stays on the whole time. So again Ram wins because of consistency. This is by far the biggest thing that pisses me off about the Ford. This is something I use on EVERY vehicle I have or had and never thought it would be a problem until Ford did this.
  20. AC: Ford wins, blows much colder than the Ram did, for some reason the Ram would not get as cold on the driver side as it would on the passenger side.
  21. Built in Navigation: Ford wins, I use it more than google maps works consistently and it is easy to use.
  22. App integration: Ford wins, works well only thing I wish it had is vehicle location and disable. The ram had that but it cost 250 for 2 years.
  23. 360 camera resolution: Ford wins, very crisp and more camera angles available than on the Ram.
  24. 360 camera screen: Ram wins, this is because of the truck overlay on the screen on my ram was spot on and had no black filler on the screen. The Ford has about a quarter of an inch on the screen in front of the truck that is black. This black is realistically the front end. You can tell this when you turn the wheels sharp and see them under the black not the actual truck picture. Again this just falls on the quality that Ram has over the Ford. It’s the small details that start to matter after months in a truck.
  25. Exterior styling: Tie, I like them both.
  26. Price: Ram wins you just seem to get more with Ram and plus Ford has lost their minds on the MSRPs on these trucks.
  27. Ride quality: Ford Wins, my ram the front end was harsh on bumps the Ford seems to absorb the bumps better
  28. WIRELESS CAR PLAY: FORD lost this one and Ram doesn’t even have it.
Ford screwed this up by not putting a wireless charger in your truck from lariat and below.
WTF is the point of having WIRELESS CAR play if you still have to plug your phone in to charge????????

Regardless of all the negatives on the Truck I still love it.

Last edited by dodgehemi0; 04-01-2021 at 07:16 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by dodgehemi0:
DyLivn (03-31-2021), HappyChappy (03-31-2021), Jim in LC (04-03-2021), VectorZ (04-06-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 04:38 PM

Received 493 Likes on 235 Posts

Thanks for the honest review. I really wish the RAM had a better powertrain because it would be a no-brainer for me to make the switch. The gap is just too big with the Powerboost despite the still significantly better interior.
The following users liked this post:
dodgehemi0 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 05:02 PM

Received 392 Likes on 252 Posts

I haven't seen this in the owner's manual and I don't have my truck yet, but I've seen the note about air recirculation a few times now. My current Audi has an interior air quality sensor that will shut down recirculation of there's "poor" air inside. I don't know what exactly is looking for, but I'm wondering if Ford has implemented something similar but hasn't documented it.
dodgehemi0 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 05:22 PM
Gearhead

Received 754 Likes on 434 Posts

You must be bored....... I'll make a couple comments as I came from a 2019 Ram Limited 4X4 eTorque (a 2016 F150 King Ranch 4X4 Ecoboost before that)
1. No brainer
2. No marks on mine. I can't see my fingernail destroying the hard plastic. So I can't agree.
3. My Ram had more leather. I don't see any better or worse fit and finish between the two.
4. You need to get your trans reflashed. Mine is smooth under most driving situations I put it through. Both the Ram and the F150 will hesitate when matting it from a 40-60ish roll where it needs to decide how many gears to drop. I rarely find the need to mat it.
5. Economy better with F150. Agree even with more hp and torque.
6. Disagree
7. I don't know what you are using. Lane keeping/centering is with cruise only, I thought. Without cruise I only have the lane vibration in the steering wheel when I get close to the side of a lane. It doesn't steer.
8. I only use cruise on interstates and it works fine. I understand it follows lines not GPS like Cadillac and I stay out of far right lane to avoid exit lanes.
9. Ford wins. Visually and in use.
10. I actually hated the tone because of many corners that use two lanes. Put turn signal on and the dumb thing wouldn't shut up. I'm fine with the visual only warning. I actually use my side mirrors.
11. Warning tone is enough. I had the Ram slam on brakes because of a parking bumper or a small piece of vegetation. They both work and call a tie.
12. & 13. Nit picky. I don't care how they operate.
14. I think both headlights are fine. Never used auto brights
15. Yep Ram can store more junk
16. Ram wins with ventilated rear seats. Never used recline or armrest
17. I call a tie. At least it appears the front of the seat won't come loose like the Ram.
18. I can't tell the difference.
19. I never use recirculation. I hate the smell of stale air. So I can't comment on how recirc works. The Ram stayed on 74°, heat or a/c. The F150, 70°for heat. I'm not sure about a/c yet.
20. See 19
21. Agree
22. I don't use apps. I disabled android auto and deleted it on my phone. I hate screwing with my phone in the car.
23. & 24. I like F150 better
25. I actually give the edge to the F150. I never really liked the front fender look of the Ram.
26. Comparing Ram Limited to F150 Platinum, the prices are dang close now.
27. Ram edge with the air suspension.

So there you go. I was bored too....

​​​​​
​​​​​
The following 3 users liked this post by Jus Cruisin:
Dan M. (04-01-2021), dodgehemi0 (03-31-2021), Rikee (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 06:01 PM

Received 148 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
You must be bored....... I'll make a couple comments as I came from a 2019 Ram Limited 4X4 eTorque (a 2016 F150 King Ranch 4X4 Ecoboost before that)
1. No brainer
2. No marks on mine. I can't see my fingernail destroying the hard plastic. So I can't agree.
3. My Ram had more leather. I don't see any better or worse fit and finish between the two.
4. You need to get your trans reflashed. Mine is smooth under most driving situations I put it through. Both the Ram and the F150 will hesitate when matting it from a 40-60ish roll where it needs to decide how many gears to drop. I rarely find the need to mat it.
5. Economy better with F150. Agree even with more hp and torque.
6. Disagree
7. I don't know what you are using. Lane keeping/centering is with cruise only, I thought. Without cruise I only have the lane vibration in the steering wheel when I get close to the side of a lane. It doesn't steer.
8. I only use cruise on interstates and it works fine. I understand it follows lines not GPS like Cadillac and I stay out of far right lane to avoid exit lanes.
9. Ford wins. Visually and in use.
10. I actually hated the tone because of many corners that use two lanes. Put turn signal on and the dumb thing wouldn't shut up. I'm fine with the visual only warning. I actually use my side mirrors.
11. Warning tone is enough. I had the Ram slam on brakes because of a parking bumper or a small piece of vegetation. They both work and call a tie.
12. & 13. Nit picky. I don't care how they operate.
14. I think both headlights are fine. Never used auto brights
15. Yep Ram can store more junk
16. Ram wins with ventilated rear seats. Never used recline or armrest
17. I call a tie. At least it appears the front of the seat won't come loose like the Ram.
18. I can't tell the difference.
19. I never use recirculation. I hate the smell of stale air. So I can't comment on how recirc works. The Ram stayed on 74°, heat or a/c. The F150, 70°for heat. I'm not sure about a/c yet.
20. See 19
21. Agree
22. I don't use apps. I disabled android auto and deleted it on my phone. I hate screwing with my phone in the car.
23. & 24. I like F150 better
25. I actually give the edge to the F150. I never really liked the front fender look of the Ram.
26. Comparing Ram Limited to F150 Platinum, the prices are dang close now.
27. Ram edge with the air suspension.

So there you go. I was bored too....

​​​​​
​​​​​

LOL yep board taking a dump. Lmao.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:02 PM

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

​​​​​
​​​​​
You have to turn it on in the menu. It will steer/nudge the wheel back to the center while not using cruise.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:20 PM
Gearhead

Received 754 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by tom231
You have to turn it on in the menu. It will steer/nudge the wheel back to the center while not using cruise.
I'll have to check it out. I couldn't run across it in the manual I downloaded. I must not be looking in the right section.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:43 PM

Received 2,549 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Great reviews, and I am glad RAM takes the win in some areas. Need to keep the pressure on all of these companies because as soon as they get comfortable, they start taking away features and fit/finish/feel suffers and the vehicles are worse off for it. I am sure Ford would have improved the F-150 interior regardless of what RAM did, but I have zero doubt the F-150 design team would have been more restricted on how much they could change if it wasn't for the '19 RAM. We would have ended up with something between the '20 and '21 interiors and not the '21 interior. It may still have some room for improvement, but that's fine.

As was noted on the trans I would take it to the dealer. I only test drove a PB, but it seemed smooth and predictable. My 2019 is about the same, but does occasionally fail on the predictable part, but it's a rarity. The recirc thing I think you may need to adjust to. I know, I know, you shouldn't have to adjust to the vehicle you paid for, it should do what you want, but short of selling the truck I don't think that part is going to change. For years now Ford has used interior sensors to make certain climate adjustments (usually seen in Ford vehicles as a small "vent" that doesn't seem to do anything). The idea is it will adjust recirc and air direction under certain conditions to maintain comfort, air quality, and above all safety. If the truck detects an interior/exterior difference in temp and humidity that would lead to window fogging, it will turn off recirc. Depending on vehicle and trim level, it will turn on recirc based on exterior odors/air quality. And within those situations it makes further decisions, not allowing fogging will win out over bad odor, stuff like that. Leading to your feeling that the truck seems to "randomly" make changes. I know it will be difficult, but if you try to just set it and forget it, over time I think you will find it is fine more often than not. I believe you can still use Max A/C which will engage recirc and keep it on, at least that's how I have seen it operate on mine, but I have only ever used that function a few times.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:52 PM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Before buying my Platinum I test drove a fully loaded 21 ram limited (5.7 eTorque, 3.92s, 4x4, etc). Offered 60 and no deal. Then I drove my Platinum (3.5eb, 3.55s, max tow, 4wd, etc). I was so much happier in the Ford. Yes, the Ram is more luxurious inside but I felt a bit cramped. The Ford has a much more utilitarian feeling interior which I prefer. It seemed like the Ford had more physical controls on the center stack as well which I also preferred. The driving experience on the Ram was really the let down for me. It was a very smooth but numb experience. The transmission was extremely smooth although it felt like it had a high stall converter in it. Very indirect feel. Others may prefer the smoothness. And the brakes on the Ram were not as firm as I'd like. Immediately driving the Ford I knew it was the right choice for me. The 3.5eb is very powerful and responsive. Much more fun to drive. I probably drive 50/50 sport mode and normal. Ram has no drive modes.

Much prefer the running boards on the Ram. Lower profile and they come down lower. And the Ford's are so noisy I thought something was wrong on mine until I test drove a limited and they sounded the same.

The other thing I really disliked about the Ram was the eTorque. Gas mileage was irrelevant in my choice and I just see the eTorque as something to fail down the line or even now. I had read multiple reports of it draining batteries. Couldn't find any on the lot without the eTorque. Ram's reliability in general is questionable.
The following 2 users liked this post by NeuroRad:
dodgehemi0 (03-31-2021), EcoBruh (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 08:31 PM

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

I'll have to check it out. I couldn't run across it in the manual I downloaded. I must not be looking in the right section.
Going by memory, I think it's in the vehicle features menu under the adaptive cruise section.
Jus Cruisin (03-31-2021)

Quick Reply: Who did it better 19 Ram or 21 F-150