Topic Sponsor
2021+ Ford F150 Discussion of the 14th generation F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trip meter resets on its own randomly

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 01:33 AM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Trip meter resets on its own randomly

So I've had a weird thing happen on and off ever since I purchased the truck last May. The trip meter (both trip 1 and trip 2) will reset, but only the MPG and miles traveled. Engine time and miles to empty do not reset. This usually happens if I get in a truck and sit in it for about 10 minutes or so before starting the engine. Also, when I drive and then park, then turn the engine off, but sit in the vehicle for about 10-15 minutes, the trips reset as well.

Not only that, but once they reset, the MPG meter (top right corner) does not calculate the MPG properly afterwards. It would show something like 0.2 mpg after I drive a bunch of miles. I have to reset the trip meter manually from the OK button on the steering wheel in order for everything to work again.

As you can see in the image below, the hours did not reset, but the MPG and total miles did. Also, you can see how the MPG isn't calculated properly after the reset.

Whereas in the below image, I performed a hard reset with the OK button and everything is calculating properly for MPG, hours of course were reset as well from the hard reset.

Now get this. The dealer's tech said that supposedly in the user guide this behavior is normal. What? LOL. He tried telling me that the trip meter is supposed to automatically reset after each key turn (meaning starting the engine every time). I told him that sounds absolutely bonkers and he's either not understanding the problem or he's full of BS. Anyway, he did manage to fix the issue on the second time around, but that lasted only about a week and a half before the trips started resetting again. I'm taking the truck back to the dealer for the same issue, but I'd like to get some opinions on what this may be due to. Or perhaps someone else has experience with this. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
dbranson (09-17-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 03:54 PM

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I am not sure this is an issue, but do you drive it each day for 30 min or more at a shot? Im wondering if it is just a quirk showing up as a result of not allowing the battery to recharge, these trucks seem to discharge the battery if they sit. I purchased a trickle charger as I only drive the truck for 10 min or so on average a day M-Th. I have noticed things like the My View resetting as a result of BMS turning things off if it drops. Since adding the trickle charger (and hooking it up every 10 days or so for a night, never seen an issue again. This has been for 3 months now.

Ive already had the battery replaced in the truck as it was possibly damaged from "not driving enough".
Old 02-14-2023, 03:59 PM

Received 1,044 Likes on 656 Posts

Never mind my suggestion. I missed the last part.
Old 02-14-2023, 04:01 PM

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue2016XL
Never mind my suggestion. I missed the last part.
looks like his milage was only 2 miles from the pics, Im leaning that its the BMS if it isnt driven enough . But thats just my experience with this truck
Old 02-14-2023, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by thorgrim007
looks like his milage was only 2 miles from the pics, Im leaning that its the BMS if it isnt driven enough . But thats just my experience with this truck
The mileage shows 2 miles because i wanted to show the difference between hard reset and how it resets by itself of calculating mpg. As i mentioned it only resets if i sit in the truck after driving or after getting in and not starting it for a while. If i let it sit for a few days not driving then get in and drive everything is fine. I'll drive it in a mix of ways, sometime less than 30 mins at a time but then more than that. I also drive it multiple times a day for the most part.
Old 04-19-2023, 04:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by konoplya
The mileage shows 2 miles because i wanted to show the difference between hard reset and how it resets by itself of calculating mpg. As i mentioned it only resets if i sit in the truck after driving or after getting in and not starting it for a while. If i let it sit for a few days not driving then get in and drive everything is fine. I'll drive it in a mix of ways, sometime less than 30 mins at a time but then more than that. I also drive it multiple times a day for the most part.
Did you ever figure it out? I had a 22 Powerboost XL that was doing the same exact thing, noticed it mainly when I would sit in the truck for 5-10 minutes. It also had a bunch of other issues, and I was able to get into a new xlt last week. It’s been doing the same thing for 2 days now.
Old 04-19-2023, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mac503
Did you ever figure it out? I had a 22 Powerboost XL that was doing the same exact thing, noticed it mainly when I would sit in the truck for 5-10 minutes. It also had a bunch of other issues, and I was able to get into a new xlt last week. It’s been doing the same thing for 2 days now.
so i took it back to the dealer and talked to the actual tech there. explained everything and showed him in person what's going on. took them about a week to get it done. he said they reprogrammed the entire truck per their convo with ford. i don't know what exactly the reprogramming involved, but that's what they told me. that seemed to have alleviated the problem, but i only had the truck back for a couple weeks until i had to take it in for something else and my truck has been at the dealer for over a month now, so i haven't driven it much to test out if the issue comes back or not.
Old 04-19-2023, 06:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by konoplya
so i took it back to the dealer and talked to the actual tech there. explained everything and showed him in person what's going on. took them about a week to get it done. he said they reprogrammed the entire truck per their convo with ford. i don't know what exactly the reprogramming involved, but that's what they told me. that seemed to have alleviated the problem, but i only had the truck back for a couple weeks until i had to take it in for something else and my truck has been at the dealer for over a month now, so i haven't driven it much to test out if the issue comes back or not.
Good to know. I screenshotted your response the next time I’m in for service.
Old 04-19-2023, 07:00 PM

Received 244 Likes on 119 Posts

Cant help you OP, im intrigued by your username though
The following 2 users liked this post by 18LeadLariat:
dbranson (09-17-2023), konoplya (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mac503
Good to know. I screenshotted your response the next time I’m in for service.
hope they can resolve it. its quite annoying.

Quick Reply: Trip meter resets on its own randomly