Topic Sponsor
2021+ Ford F150 Discussion of the 14th generation F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Key Detected.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 08:46 PM

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Default No Key Detected.

I have a 2021 f-150 with remote start and key fobs. There is no actual key to start the truck just a push button. A couple of weeks ago I left the grocery store and the key fob would not start the truck or unlock the door. I thought it weird because I had replaced the batteries a month or so ago. I used the buttons mounted on the door post to unlock the truck. Then when I went to start the truck it would not start and the dash said "No Key Detected". Weird thing was that I had both key fobs in the truck and good batteries in both !! I fiddled with both of them for awhile pushing different buttons and pushing the truck start button on the dash randomly then suddenly it started up normally and has been working fine ever since. ( In hindsight I may have dropped one one the key fobs in the cup holder while I was messing with them. I know that the slot where you put the key fob into when it's dead is under the cup holder but, I never actually put the fob in the slot. I just ,, May Have ? dropped it in the correct cup holder above the slot.)

Why did it do this ? Has anyone ever had a problem like this before ? Is the reason it started working again because I dropped one of the key fobs into the cup holder or, was that just a coincidence ? If it does this again what should I do ?

Have a nice Day
Old 05-03-2024, 10:07 PM

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

It happens. I think there are some devices that cause interference. On my 2017 it was common for this to happen at Kwik Star convenience stores. I guess I don't know where the emergency spot is in the new truck, but it could be under the cup holder.
The following users liked this post:
Caveman Charlie (05-04-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 11:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if it's related at all, but I had a similar thing happen with my 2017 Nissan Titan on a couple of occasions. In that truck I had to hold the key fob close to the ignition button to reconnect them, which I think is basically the same as putting the fob in the slot under the cup holder in the F150. It seemed like the truck randomly lost connection with the key fob on those occasions and after holding it up to the start button everything was good to go again. I always just chalked it up to wireless connections not being 100% reliable.
The following users liked this post:
Caveman Charlie (05-04-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 10:34 AM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

I have gone thru this on previous vehicles and almost every time it is key fob battery related. New batteries are not always good batteries.

I bought a cheap battery tester off Amazon and I have not had that issue ever since.

That being said, I did have an issue once with the key fob being in the same pocket as my cell phone. There was interference in that case.
The following 2 users liked this post by Super 3.5:
Caveman Charlie (05-04-2024), roadPilot (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 08:49 AM

Received 1,644 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by Super 3.5
New batteries are not always good batteries.
Yup!

Quick Reply: No Key Detected.