Topic Sponsor
2021+ Ford F150 Discussion of the 14th generation F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IWE's, 14th gen ONLY

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 10:43 AM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Default IWE's, 14th gen ONLY

There should be enough 14th gens out there now, that some IWE troubles should be showing up, or maybe Ford with the new system actually fixed one problem, and didn't create a different one.
This is for 14th gen ONLY, plenty of threads in the other forums relating to the older generations.
If anyone has some good info on the new system, please feel free to post it.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:05 AM
Gearhead

Received 754 Likes on 434 Posts

Ok....... IWE.?
The following 4 users liked this post by Jus Cruisin:
Blueshound (07-29-2021), erixgix (07-08-2022), konoplya (07-09-2022), TomCinMI (07-31-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 11:13 AM
Village Sociopath

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
Ok....... IWE.?
Sorry, Integrated Wheel End. It's what engages the front wheels for 4X4 operation. Previous generations had a vacuum operated system that was a less than stellar system. Some never had a problem, some were plagued with problems.
The new system doesn't use vacuum, it has a motor driven device at the IWE, hopefully it's a more reliable system.
The following users liked this post:
Steel City 07 (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 02:07 PM

Received 414 Likes on 240 Posts

I’d be interested to learn how they are controlled. Ideally they would be something simple like 12V constant = disengaged and no voltage = disengaged, sort of like an electronic locking differential.

I’d like to wire mine to a switch (potentially two separate switches) to control manually.

If they are controlled by a momentary signal (along the lines of the electronic parking brake) then things could get more complex.

I’m also interested to hear how they hold up to locking differentials, spools, or welded differentials. I’m tempted to put in a front locker, but if the IWE isn’t strong enough to take the full torque of a locked axle, I’d rather use an LSD.
johnday in BFE (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 03:52 PM

Received 279 Likes on 156 Posts

Just as a data point, I have noticed that if I lock my hubs by putting it into 4H (xlt, I do not have 4A) they seem to stay locked after pressing 2H until I come to a full stop. I don't know if this is normal behavior, my last truck was a '96 with hubs I had to get out and lock/unlock by hand lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blueshound:
johnday in BFE (07-29-2021), Steel City 07 (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 05:16 PM

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,345 Posts

I haven't seen any issues with the electric IWEs so far this gen, but it's a bit early. Saying enough time has passed would be true if that time wasn't mainly passing during the spring/summer. Even the winter in many areas was mild. I am in Michigan and only saw benefit from 4WD a few times for the whole winter. Then add in that most didn't start receiving their trucks until December, not everyone that received the truck lived somewhere that needed 4WD, and the list goes on. So it's still crazy early to ask this question.

In any case, I didn't have issues with my previous two F-150 IWEs either. I suspect it will be a couple more years and winters before we really get an idea on if these improve long term reliability.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:39 PM
Village Sociopath

Originally Posted by Steel City 07
I’d be interested to learn how they are controlled. Ideally they would be something simple like 12V constant = disengaged and no voltage = disengaged, sort of like an electronic locking differential.

I’d like to wire mine to a switch (potentially two separate switches) to control manually.

If they are controlled by a momentary signal (along the lines of the electronic parking brake) then things could get more complex.

I’m also interested to hear how they hold up to locking differentials, spools, or welded differentials. I’m tempted to put in a front locker, but if the IWE isn’t strong enough to take the full torque of a locked axle, I’d rather use an LSD.
That is some of what I'm hoping for, problems may be rare yet, but any would be interesting. The more we know, well, the more we know.

Originally Posted by Blueshound
Just as a data point, I have noticed that if I lock my hubs by putting it into 4H (xlt, I do not have 4A) they seem to stay locked after pressing 2H until I come to a full stop. I don't know if this is normal behavior, my last truck was a '96 with hubs I had to get out and lock/unlock by hand lol.
Good observation! It's possible it does work that way, less stress on the motors maybe? I'm only suggesting that, it may or not be that way.
How could you tell they disengaged, is there some sort of light that goes on/off? Like on previous gens.
If this new system isn't better, it might have all us wishing for the manual way.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:52 PM
Git it!

Received 222 Likes on 135 Posts

I think they're fine. I have no issues with mine, my 20 they made some noise occasionally
Old 07-29-2021, 07:03 PM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

The are now operated electrically by spinning a cam to push it in. If they fail, it will be an electrical issue and they simply won't engage.

Over the long run, we will find out how well the motor and cam hold up, but I wouldn't expect any early failures now that they've eliminated vacuum as part of the equation.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:19 PM

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,345 Posts

I wonder how they will come out in terms of expense and difficulty to replace. Something failing doesn't bother me that much with few exceptions (total brake failure would be pretty concerning). My concern is always how hard and expensive is it to replace. It's like talking about owning a BMW or Mercedes, they have a lot of the same essential parts as a Ford or GM, but getting parts replaced can be muuuuch more expensive and in some cases needlessly difficult. If these electric IWEs are easier for someone to replace in the driveway and aren't more expensive, then as long as they aren't failing yearly it would still be an improvement.

Quick Reply: IWE's, 14th gen ONLY