Topic Sponsor
2021+ Ford F150 Discussion of the 14th generation F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Roar (Sounds like a bad wheel bearing)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Front End Roar (Sounds like a bad wheel bearing)

I've had the previous generation trucks with the IWE issue and this on my 2021 Powerboost sounds and feels the same. If you put it in 4A it goes away. I've searched and not seen anyone else have this issue in this generation truck yet. It also looks like the design is different so I'm confused as to what is going on.
I feel pretty confident that the dealership it is at will not be able to remedy the situation. The service writer and tech I rode with no less about these trucks than I do.
Has anyone else had this issue or have any suggestions?
Old 02-17-2022, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,162 Likes on 2,846 Posts

probably is an IWE, had that happen in my 21 a few times. just cycle it in/out of 4wd

they are electromagnetic now and not vacuum
Old 02-17-2022, 12:12 PM

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by yota350
I've had the previous generation trucks with the IWE issue and this on my 2021 Powerboost sounds and feels the same. If you put it in 4A it goes away. I've searched and not seen anyone else have this issue in this generation truck yet. It also looks like the design is different so I'm confused as to what is going on.
I feel pretty confident that the dealership it is at will not be able to remedy the situation. The service writer and tech I rode with no less about these trucks than I do.
Ah yes I'm right in the middle of this issue right now. Not only does it roar, can feel it in the steering wheel/pedals most of the time! Also from time to time it will grind as the wheel hub half engages, then will go away for a time. 2 different dealers in, both giving me the same BS answer - "nothing wrong, can't replicate". Have also heard overall the hub IWE is on a national backorder, so that should tell us something - it's broke and they can't fix it. I'm utterly let down Ford allows issues like this to persist and gives guidance to dealers to ignore the noise/problem. My first Ford, not a good way to get started IMO>
Old 02-17-2022, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by todda7117
Ah yes I'm right in the middle of this issue right now. Not only does it roar, can feel it in the steering wheel/pedals most of the time! Also from time to time it will grind as the wheel hub half engages, then will go away for a time. 2 different dealers in, both giving me the same BS answer - "nothing wrong, can't replicate". Have also heard overall the hub IWE is on a national backorder, so that should tell us something - it's broke and they can't fix it. I'm utterly let down Ford allows issues like this to persist and gives guidance to dealers to ignore the noise/problem. My first Ford, not a good way to get started IMO>
That is EXACTLY what mine is doing. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-17-2022, 12:44 PM

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm taking mine in next week for this issue. Hopefully I don't get the same runaround
Old 02-17-2022, 02:24 PM
Official Ford Account

Received 456 Likes on 343 Posts

Hi there! This doesn't sound like an experience we want you to have with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I can look into this on my end.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ford Motor Co.:
jamie elrod (03-07-2024), Yote22 (10-14-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ford Motor Co.
Hi there! This doesn't sound like an experience we want you to have with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I can look into this on my end.
Hello Ford Motor Co. - can you also please help me out on this, the dealers are of no help here, lack understanding on how to debug this to a proper resolution.

thx
Old 02-17-2022, 08:04 PM

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I had an EIWE replaced around 700-800 miles on my 2021. No noise, just wouldn't engage into 4wd. FWIW, I never had an IWE issue on either of my 2008 ( traded at 65k miles ) or 2016 ( traded at 45k miles ).
Old 02-18-2022, 03:53 PM

I got a call from the dealer today. They think it is the hub itself making the noise. Like mentioned above, they are on national backorder. I'll update after it is replaced to let you guys know if it fixes my issue.
Old 02-18-2022, 04:24 PM

I got a call from the dealer today. They think it is the hub itself making the noise. Like mentioned above, they are on national backorder. I'll update after it is replaced to let you guys know if it fixes my issue.
How did you get them to admit was bad, dealers around me are giving me a complete run-around! Pisses me off they can't come clean on this. If you jack up the truck and hand spin the wheel, can you feel/hear the rough rumble of the bearing? I might try that to diagnose.
The following users liked this post:
RossRR (04-03-2023)

Quick Reply: Front End Roar (Sounds like a bad wheel bearing)