Topic Sponsor
2021+ Ford F150 Discussion of the 14th generation F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake malfunction warning

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 04:17 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Brake malfunction warning

Traded in my 2018 F150 on a 2023 back in Feb, at a city dealer instead of usual small town dealer because they had one that checked all the boxes of what I wanted. Just turned over 7000kms, was driving the other day and loud thump from up front when slowing down for a corner, then nothing. Drove to town about 6kms away and another thump, not as loud and brake malfunction warning flashed up briefly, not enough time to read.

This was almost 2 weeks ago, nothing since, one other time main big screen went blank and rebooted right after I started it and was driving away. None of these things have repeated. Called dealership, told them issues & made appointment, which is where I’m at now.

Back to (this) city dealer.. just drove 3 hours, pulled in & told service advisor, she said are you leaving it with us for a couple of days we’re booked solid(??!!) - I said no, I just drove 3 hours and if they knew they couldn’t look at it why did I just drive 3 hours? She sensed my irate nature & said she’d talk to shop foreman and see if they could scan it, and put up on hoist & check front end, I said ok then, which is what I expected in the first place.

She then mentioned brakes & if there was issue it should be covered because it’s under 20K Km’s?? To which I replied it’s 100,000 km power train and 60,000km bumper to bumper, is it not? She said “we still have to pay our guys even for warranty work..

I held off saying out loud “not my ______ problem!”, but this soured me on this dealership and I won’t be coming back for anything.

Two other city dealerships I’ve dealt with are not like this, to be fair. In fact on my 2018 I had major front end work done that they covered with my extended warranty, which was 200kms from running out, and the service advisor said it was a good thing I got in when I did. I still like the small town dealership I usually deal with better though, and I’m regretting not waiting and buying the truck from them.
Old 05-16-2024, 07:28 PM

Received 879 Likes on 570 Posts

Why not go to the small town dealership for service/warranty work?
Old 05-16-2024, 07:54 PM

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I know a few people who have had problems with various dealerships throughout Alberta, Even I've had issues with some in the city that we have said that we are going to close down our parts accounts because they didn't want to fix a customer's car that's under warranty that we've diagnosed and are taking care of the pickup and drop off so that the customer doesn't have to deal with the dealership directly.

I have ran into the 1 year 20k issue on brakes on my old ram. When I had asked about it they said brake pads wiper blades and shocks are only 1 year 20,000 km I called bull**** but they machined the rotors so many times that there was nothing left that when it hit the 20k mark they wouldn't fix it. I ended up buying performance rotors and the problem was solved. In your case with a thumping noise and warning light from up front could be a bad wheel bearing or harness if it was from the rear then there maybe a loose rear caliper or the electric park brake fell off. I'd turn the wheel sharp both directions and try to see with a light if there's any missing caliper bolts, damaged abs harness or anything out of the ordinary.

If you are mechanically inclined and have a floor jack you can lift up one side at a time under the lower control arm and grab the tire at the top and bottom and try to wiggle it see if there's anything loose and side to side if anything is excessively loose. If so it could be a bad hub assembly and that's causing the warning light because the sensor inside is now damaged.

Quick Reply: Brake malfunction warning