Topic Sponsor
2021+ Ford F150 Discussion of the 14th generation F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Cross Traffic Alert (CTA) to non-BLIS F150

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 07:55 AM

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Adding BLIS and Cross Traffic Alert (CTA) to non-BLIS F150

Has anybody successfully added CTA to a non-BLIS equipped F150? I already added my LED taillight harness plus swapped to the LED BLIS Taillights with BLIS mirrors and got the entire BLIS system working. When I turn ON the CTA through Forscan, I get the following errors:

Code: U0533 - Invalid Data Received From Side Obstacle Detection Control Module 'A'

Additional Fault Symptom (:56):- Invalid/Incompatible Configuration

and

Code: U0534 - Invalid Data Received From Side Obstacle Detection Control Module 'B'

Additional Fault Symptom (:56):- Invalid/Incompatible Configuration

I’m pretty sure I have a configuration issue. I am also not sure if I need the SODCMD and the SODCMC physical hardware to fully get CTA working.

I have added BLIS and CTA to my old 2018 STX as well as helped several other members upgrade their 2019 and 2020 F150s so I have experience doing this, but the 2023 model differs slightly when it comes to CTA. I have also researched the forums and have not found any information regarding how to add CTA.

Let me know if you have any tips or helpful information that could resolve my issue.

Last edited by Donjuan2002; 10-22-2023 at 12:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ToomanyFTs (03-27-2024)
Old 10-21-2023, 10:28 AM

Well, I feel dumb. I forgot to activate CTA in the IPMA. Now CTA is working as it should. No more errors! Here’s a few pics of the process to get BLIS and CTA working in a nonBLIS equipped F150.

I had to populate my BLIS cable harness into the OEM rear taillight harness.

Once the BLIS cables are installed, a bit of Tesa tape is used to secure them and route them to each taillight.

This is the new BLIS harness that plugs into the LED BLIS taillight with the longer connector. The small connector is the existing halogen taillight connector.

The existing halogen connector is removed and the pins are reused and populated into the new LED BLIS harness connector.

A bit of electrical tape is used to keep the new harness and the existing harness together.

You can now turn On and Off the cross traffic alert from the APIM.

BLIS now works!

Last edited by Donjuan2002; 10-22-2023 at 12:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Donjuan2002:
Je1279 (10-21-2023), Stangman570 (03-26-2024)
Old 10-21-2023, 10:52 AM
Village Idiot

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

We've all made stupid mistakes. Nice write up!
Old 11-14-2023, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding BLIS to 2018 non BLIS king ranch

I need some help getting this all set up on my 2018 non BLIS king ranch. I have the wires that need to go frpm front to back, have new tail light harness, installed BLIS mirrors and have bought bliss tail lights. Anyone in the San Antonio/austin area that would be willing to help do this and get paid $$? I need help and willing to pay
Old 11-14-2023, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by chadskrhak
I need some help getting this all set up on my 2018 non BLIS king ranch. I have the wires that need to go frpm front to back, have new tail light harness, installed BLIS mirrors and have bought bliss tail lights. Anyone in the San Antonio/austin area that would be willing to help do this and get paid $$? I need help and willing to pay
Since it’s a KR, everything is just plug and play for the hardware. Sounds like you have everything needed. You’ll just need to do the Forscan programming. Pretty sure someone local can help with that as long as you did the physical install.
Old 11-14-2023, 09:42 PM

I did not run the 4pin harness from the rear to engine yet. That is what I am not sure sure of how to do. The rear tail light harness is easy to install it just won’t power the tail lights without the 4 pin installed.
Old 11-14-2023, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by chadskrhak
I did not run the 4pin harness from the rear to engine yet. That is what I am not sure sure of how to do. The rear tail light harness is easy to install it just won’t power the tail lights without the 4 pin installed.
The taillights should power up and work as before.

The four wires are only to make the BLIS modules communicate, but your truck should already have them unless you’ve already confirmed they are missing.

If you have the KR non Blis LED tails, the wiring may be different now that I think about it. I would have to check the wiring diagrams.

Old 11-14-2023, 10:54 PM

Received 313 Likes on 190 Posts

If anything the cross traffic alert is more useful then blind spot IMO. now I'm spoiled. lol
Old 11-15-2023, 07:23 AM

Yea I tried only putting the new rear harness in, plugged in the lights and no power. Was told the 4 pin had to be installed to make them power up.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Donjuan2002
Well, I feel dumb. I forgot to activate CTA in the IPMA. Now CTA is working as it should. No more errors! Here’s a few pics of the process to get BLIS and CTA working in a nonBLIS equipped F150.

I had to populate my BLIS cable harness into the OEM rear taillight harness.

Once the BLIS cables are installed, a bit of Tesa tape is used to secure them and route them to each taillight.

This is the new BLIS harness that plugs into the LED BLIS taillight with the longer connector. The small connector is the existing halogen taillight connector.

The existing halogen connector is removed and the pins are reused and populated into the new LED BLIS harness connector.

A bit of electrical tape is used to keep the new harness and the existing harness together.

You can now turn On and Off the cross traffic alert from the APIM.

BLIS now works!
. Would you happen to have the pin out for this Blis mod, along with the gauge wire you used. Great photos! I've been searching for this for awhile to activate Blis. I've installed the mirrors and have upgraded the tail lights from non Blis halogen to full Lariat LED's.

Quick Reply: Adding Cross Traffic Alert (CTA) to non-BLIS F150