Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whipple CAI - Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 02:19 PM

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Whipple CAI - Upgrade?

So while I anxiously await my truck. I have been building my "shopping list" of things I want to do right away. After seeing OCMike's 2018 Whipple up close and hearing Mike's thoughts about Whipple's CAI, I figured there has to be some options.

I was looking at buying this S&B kit
and wondering about the feasibility in modifying the intake tube hole to work with the whipple tube.

I know there are other possible CAIs to consider as well, but also know S&B has a great reputation, I like the closed system with the clear filter window. And while $299 is irritating to have to spend, there are certainly more expensive ones that don't look as nice as the S&B.

Thoughts?? Would you guys (running Whipple's) have any concerns on air flow with this over the one supplied by Whipple?

Rayo
Old 08-27-2018, 03:42 PM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

The Whipple supplied stuff has been mid 10’s on a 2018 truck...not sure what benefits you’re looking for but it seems like a waste of time and money to me. Mine meets the hood insulation for the most part...you can see the imprint it leaves.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:48 PM
TOTM Sept. '18

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by UNBROKEN
The Whipple supplied stuff has been mid 10’s on a 2018 truck...not sure what benefits you’re looking for but it seems like a waste of time and money to me. Mine meets the hood insulation for the most part...you can see the imprint it leaves.

The benefit I could see is it brings air from the outside rather then from under the hood to lower IAT. The CAI hood seal on my truck leaves a lot to be desired.

After I get my CalTracs on (Currently have one on) I was going to try and get some real numbers by just making the seal better between the hood and the box. There is also huge gap near the fender where it can pull in under hood air.

Mike

Last edited by OCMike; 08-27-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:52 PM

Received 428 Likes on 336 Posts

Mine was almost 2 inches from the hood.

I don't know if that box can be made to fit.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:05 PM

What Mike and Ripper Said Sure it might seem like an unnecessary spend, but of all the things Whipple did well, I don't find the CAI to be part of that. They could have easily done what Roush did with the 2018 Kit. Which I guess is what I am trying to achieve.

Also coming from a truck where my filter just sat under the hood where it seemed to get unnecessarily dirty from all matter of crud finding its way off the wheel wells, under the motor etc. I am hoping to avoid that this time around.

So I guess I will be the guinea pig on this one. It's obviously going to be a while before I can do some testing. But certainly I will update as I figure things out.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:25 PM

Seems like a lot of work for a minimal gain, possibly an impossible to measure gain. My bet is a good heat extractor vent in the hood would show a better improvement.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by UNBROKEN
Seems like a lot of work for a minimal gain, possibly an impossible to measure gain. My bet is a good heat extractor vent in the hood would show a better improvement.
LOL Well you are talking to a guy that powder coated about every accessible metal part on his 6.0 just so.. when it was not running, at least it would look good sitting still.

So yeah, not really looking for performance gains of any type. I just feel like what Whipple has provided could be better.
The following users liked this post:
OCMike (08-27-2018)

Trending Topics

Old 08-27-2018, 10:21 PM

Received 401 Likes on 229 Posts

I have been thinking about doing this with the S&B or Roush CAI to better control the air flow and for better appearances because the Whipple CAI box is plain ugly.
RayoVac (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 10:28 PM
TOTM Sept. '18

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Brand
I have been thinking about doing this with the S&B or Roush CAI to better control the air flow and for better appearances because the Whipple CAI box is plain ugly.
That looks a lot better then the Whipple. I've promised myself I will not buy any more mods till I work through what I've already bought.

I've got to say the thought of making at least the left grille nostril functional has me abscessed.

Mike
Old 08-27-2018, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by RayoVac
LOL Well you are talking to a guy that powder coated about every accessible metal part on his 6.0 just so.. when it was not running, at least it would look good sitting still.

So yeah, not really looking for performance gains of any type. I just feel like what Whipple has provided could be better.
If you’re looking for appearance then by all means. After 7 magazine features for trucks I’ve built I’m the last one to complain about spending money on appearance mods. lol
RayoVac (08-27-2018)

Quick Reply: Whipple CAI - Upgrade?