Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 09:27 AM

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Where to start?

Hey guys
I have a 13 5.0. I'm thinking of adding some performance to the truck. I bought a used tuner that I will send to Oz tuning. I have looked into cams but they are pricey to install. Would doing an intake be any good without doing cams? It's a cheaper place to start. Or am I better off to skip all that and just do the tune only.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:31 AM

Received 366 Likes on 250 Posts

I'd save my pennies and go supercharger before cams, especially when you'll soon be able to score various blower kits on sale around black Friday. Otherwise just tune and call it a day, maybe later on down the road a full exhaust and Mustang intake manifold swap if emissions are not a concern.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:04 PM

Thank you good sir. The input helps. I'll just save up for now
Old 10-16-2018, 05:09 AM

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Commeeche
Hey guys
I have a 13 5.0. I'm thinking of adding some performance to the truck. I bought a used tuner that I will send to Oz tuning. I have looked into cams but they are pricey to install. Would doing an intake be any good without doing cams? It's a cheaper place to start. Or am I better off to skip all that and just do the tune only.
What is your goal with the truck? Do you plan on running it at the track? Is there a time you are chasing? Are you just wanting a fun street truck with a little more power and more fun to drive?
Old 10-20-2018, 03:50 PM

I dont plan on running at the track. Just for a street truck. From what I'm reading my best best would be an oz tune. And I want to add that mmr cooling mod for the engine before I tune it but I need to see how much of a pita it would be to install
Old 10-20-2018, 08:19 PM

Received 366 Likes on 250 Posts

MMR what? You talking about the coolant tube that connects coolant passages at the back of the engine near the rear cylinders? If so, that's not necessary. In the early days of Coyotes people were popping cylinder number 8, but that hasn't been a thing in years. As a tuner who just blew up a customers engine, its much easier to point the finger at a defect with said engine and not their actual tune. Sure, the back cylinders run a little warmer then the fronts, but the coolant tube connectors do absolutely nothing that would impact whether or not the piston lets go.

Stick with a reputable tuner and don't worry about it. There are many 600whp+ Coyotes running around without that silly cooling mod.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:11 AM

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

I'd not waste time or money on cams or an intake. Both are just going to Rob Peter to pay Paul and hurt your power down low to achieve gains at RPM limits that you will rarely see. Definitely tune it, I would also suggest throwing some 4.10s in too. That was the mod that made my truck more fun to drive.

Quick Reply: Where to start?