What Motor Should You Buy in an 2018 -2019 F150 ? - Page 4 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.

What Motor Should You Buy in an 2018 -2019 F150 ?

 
Old 02-03-2019, 11:53 AM
  #31  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,111
Thanked 192 Times in 154 Posts
Default

I will put up another vote for the 2.7 as the all around best half ton motor for daily use/occasional towing. It rivals the NA V6ís on fuel economy and will throw down with most of the V8ís on power. Only really the 6.2 GM will outclass it in power/torque, but even then its not by much.
mass-hole is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to mass-hole For This Useful Post:
Mark Miller (02-04-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 10:25 PM
  #32  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I haven’t found any info on what your tunes look like in the 3.5 high output. Just got a 2019 Limited and am interested in what gains you’re seeing.
Jimmy T is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 01:22 AM
  #33  
Heat Miser
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 691
Thanked 77 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by engineermike View Post

Iíve seen these but the 3.0 numbers donít look right for stock.

5star, excellent job on these cals!
Every dyno reads differently, and you can fudge the numbers by lowering the smoothing number(the lower the number the more erratic the graph, which can add a couple of bogus hp's). FWIW, the plot you posted shows the smoothing set at 5, which is the most 'honest' way to show it.
Because dynos vary wildly, their best use is to chart improvement(s), not comparing base hp figures derived on different dynos.
You' baseline your vehicle, then come back again to the SAME dyno after you've installed your mods, then chart the improvement. The total number isn't really relevant. It's the gain that's important
Regarding your questioning of the diesel number(looks like the torque figure shown is higher than Ford's claim), it could simply be down to this dyno reading higher than Ford's. Altitude and weather can also play a part .
yokev is offline  
Old 02-23-2019, 08:23 PM
  #34  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 188
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 5star View Post
Good points , its about the whole curve not just a number .. the 50 makes lots less TQ where one drives thats what stands out to us here. the diesel is just a good reference point for the got to have a diesel engine. i cant imagine the 50L being around in a gen 3 in a truck unless its turbo charged or something . the local dealer here as more 50 on the lot than any other engine. in our opinion the 2.7 gen 2 is the best motor of all of them gets the best mileage and makes good tq. and is calibrated the best from Ford. again our opinion. one other point in the 27 15-17 vs 18 all Ford did was command more Driver Demand to get more power thats it aka turned it up
any way you could overlay an 18 EB 3.5 e50 and an e85 18 5.0?

SC_Titan is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 03:29 PM
  #35  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,111
Thanked 192 Times in 154 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by yokev View Post
Every dyno reads differently, and you can fudge the numbers by lowering the smoothing number(the lower the number the more erratic the graph, which can add a couple of bogus hp's). FWIW, the plot you posted shows the smoothing set at 5, which is the most 'honest' way to show it.
Because dynos vary wildly, their best use is to chart improvement(s), not comparing base hp figures derived on different dynos.
You' baseline your vehicle, then come back again to the SAME dyno after you've installed your mods, then chart the improvement. The total number isn't really relevant. It's the gain that's important
Regarding your questioning of the diesel number(looks like the torque figure shown is higher than Ford's claim), it could simply be down to this dyno reading higher than Ford's. Altitude and weather can also play a part .
This chart is from one of the guys on the Ecoboost forum who is the in-house gasoline engine tuner for SCT. All trucks on the same dyno and same fuel(except the diesel of course)
mass-hole is offline  
Old 03-12-2019, 11:48 PM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 167
Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Does Todd work for 5-star now? lol.

The 2.7l continues to amaze me. I bought it on a late minute tax write off initially wanting the 5.0 - being a V8 guy. Knowing that I'd be trading it in a year or so if I wanted to, I wasn't too concerned..
After more than a year, I have no desire to trade "up" to the 5.0. If anything, maybe a higher trim 3.5l but for now I'm perfectly content.

It is funny how the dynos shown in this thread, along with 5-star's opinion, really seem to rustle some of the 5.0 guy's jimmies.
swampvol is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 11:49 PM
  #37  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,729
Thanked 180 Times in 146 Posts
Unhappy

Well, I have been driving a 2.7 for the last 5 weeks. Ugh. Lazy throttle, laggy stock shift schedule / tune. Not for me.

I look forward to driving either of my 5.0's every time, even to work! This 2.7 is an appliance, and I know it should have way more bottom end that my 5.0, but it just doesn't. It winds up pretty good if you put it in Sport and brake torque it, but that's about it.

7 weeks total of daily driving this truck, and I would never buy one. Ever.

For the record, I am comparing this to the stock cal 2018 5.0......not the tuned cal. That said, I've been driving a 2.7 for a total of 7 weeks, cuz that's how much time my 2018 5.0 has been in the shop in the last 3 months. Holy lemon batman, (and incompetent dealer)

Last edited by isthatahemi; 03-14-2019 at 11:52 PM.
isthatahemi is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 01:08 PM
  #38  
Senior Member
 
Sirikenewtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,122
Thanked 221 Times in 204 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by isthatahemi View Post
Well, I have been driving a 2.7 for the last 5 weeks. Ugh. Lazy throttle, laggy stock shift schedule / tune. Not for me.

I look forward to driving either of my 5.0's every time, even to work! This 2.7 is an appliance, and I know it should have way more bottom end that my 5.0, but it just doesn't. It winds up pretty good if you put it in Sport and brake torque it, but that's about it.

7 weeks total of daily driving this truck, and I would never buy one. Ever.

For the record, I am comparing this to the stock cal 2018 5.0......not the tuned cal. That said, I've been driving a 2.7 for a total of 7 weeks, cuz that's how much time my 2018 5.0 has been in the shop in the last 3 months. Holy lemon batman, (and incompetent dealer)
I feel the same exact way with all of ford's engine/transmission's on stock tune, especially the 2nd gen 3.5 and 2018 F150 5.0, I'd never own one if it wasn't for custom tuning.
Sirikenewtron is online now  
Old 03-18-2019, 10:26 PM
  #39  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I felt the same way when I had a rental base model XLT crew cab with the 2.7 with 3.55ís Just had nothing down low. Below 2400 was a complete dog compared to my 3.73 5.0. Once wound up it was fine and moved prettt good. But for coasting around it just seemed dead where you drive it 90% or the time (below 2000 rpm).
Advocate01 is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 03:28 AM
  #40  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,606
Thanked 168 Times in 140 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Advocate01 View Post
I felt the same way when I had a rental base model XLT crew cab with the 2.7 with 3.55ís Just had nothing down low. Below 2400 was a complete dog compared to my 3.73 5.0. Once wound up it was fine and moved prettt good. But for coasting around it just seemed dead where you drive it 90% or the time (below 2000 rpm).
What year trucks are you comparing?
Mark Miller is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Motor Should You Buy in an 2018 -2019 F150 ?


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: