Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning Story with the Wife

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 03:09 AM

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Tuning Story with the Wife

So I have a Stage 2 Whipple and have been working with Ken Oz on a custom tune. As most of you probably know, to start with he has you do some logging runs. My Wife has been happy to help out with "holding the laptop" duties while I am doing the driving.

To start with we are asked to do a 2K-5K run in 5th gear. No problems, she kind of enjoyed it. Only hit just about 80mph. So the next logging run is to be a 2K-6K in 5th gear. Now we are hitting about 108mph. She's a bit nervous and I had to repeat this logging as we has some odd throttle closures Ken is troubleshooting. She was a trooper and white knuckled a second logging run with me.

I was away for business travel last few days when I get the next tune from Ken... and you guessed it now I need to do a 2K-7K run. I call the Wife and said "are ya ready". Her response "On Saturday I am going shopping with a girl friend and you can ask her husband to do that logging run with you". Hahahahahaha... I knew she would wuss out.

She did not miss much, I did the logging run today with no issues. Yup, hit about 128mph or so. It was the first time I have seen the truck hit 7K+ RPM.

Luckily I have access to a private access road that services some large cell towers, its flat and perfect for these kind of runs. Although the 2K-7K run had me getting on the brakes pretty hard as the pavement was ending much quicker then the previous runs.

What our Wives put up with, huh?

The following 2 users liked this post by RayoVac:
chimmike (02-28-2019), OCMike (03-01-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 04:43 AM

Received 428 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by RayoVac
So I have a Stage 2 Whipple and have been working with Ken Oz on a custom tune. As most of you probably know, to start with he has you do some logging runs. My Wife has been happy to help out with "holding the laptop" duties while I am doing the driving.

To start with we are asked to do a 2K-5K run in 5th gear. No problems, she kind of enjoyed it. Only hit just about 80mph. So the next logging run is to be a 2K-6K in 5th gear. Now we are hitting about 108mph. She's a bit nervous and I had to repeat this logging as we has some odd throttle closures Ken is troubleshooting. She was a trooper and white knuckled a second logging run with me.

I was away for business travel last few days when I get the next tune from Ken... and you guessed it now I need to do a 2K-7K run. I call the Wife and said "are ya ready". Her response "On Saturday I am going shopping with a girl friend and you can ask her husband to do that logging run with you". Hahahahahaha... I knew she would wuss out.

She did not miss much, I did the logging run today with no issues. Yup, hit about 128mph or so. It was the first time I have seen the truck hit 7K+ RPM.

Luckily I have access to a private access road that services some large cell towers, its flat and perfect for these kind of runs. Although the 2K-7K run had me getting on the brakes pretty hard as the pavement was ending much quicker then the previous runs.

What our Wives put up with, huh?
Old 02-28-2019, 07:08 AM

Received 260 Likes on 191 Posts

While mine is fine with me spending money and modding the truck, having her ride along for some sort of datalogging run is absolutely never going to happen. In fact, my family has dubbed her the fun police
The following 4 users liked this post by rojizostang:
chimmike (02-28-2019), gone postal (02-28-2019), RayoVac (02-28-2019), Vet Class (03-01-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 01:01 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine enjoys it. Shes been in my mustang while it was pulling the wheels about a foot off the ground and about 165 mph pass. Triple digit speed is a pretty common place for me especially on the 6 hr road trips back home to north Texas.
The following users liked this post:
RayoVac (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by One Slow 5.0
Mine enjoys it. Shes been in my mustang while it was pulling the wheels about a foot off the ground and about 165 mph pass. Triple digit speed is a pretty common place for me especially on the 6 hr road trips back home to north Texas.
LOL Dude... @One Slow 5.0 your Forum Name is my plate!!! Ohh and my latest logging run he had me go down to 4th gear for the pull to 7K, so back into the 108mph territory... and not nearly running out of pavement as quick.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:08 PM
Blown Member

Received 185 Likes on 152 Posts

I would just put my laptop in the passengers seat facing me. It just made life easier. My wife has to get ready for everything. I would still be data logging if I was waiting on her, LOL.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:11 PM

Received 260 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by LTNBOLT
I would just put my laptop in the passengers seat facing me. It just made life easier. My wife has to get ready for everything. I would still be data logging if I was waiting on her, LOL.
you're living my life....I've been waiting on my wife for the last 38 years
Old 02-28-2019, 11:02 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RayoVac
LOL Dude... @One Slow 5.0 your Forum Name is my plate!!! Ohh and my latest logging run he had me go down to 4th gear for the pull to 7K, so back into the 108mph territory... and not nearly running out of pavement as quick.
Nice Ive been using the same screen name since early 2000s when i built a nitrous mustang.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by rojizostang
you're living my life....I've been waiting on my wife for the last 38 years
Wow congrats on the longevity!!! 29 years here.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:24 AM

Received 757 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by One Slow 5.0
Well let's see pictures of the Mustang!!

Quick Reply: Tuning Story with the Wife