Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 03:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tuning question

Hello guys, I've got a 13' f150 with the 5.0. Its got the dreaded low end knock from cylinder wall distortion. Some days its there, some days not but when it is it drives me insane. There is no fix unless you trade it in, which I hate to take a huge loss because it runs great other wise. So I got to thinking if I was able to raise the stock idle rpm a bit I wouldn't notice the knock, or less there of. Is it possible to raise the idle rpm without a tuner? If not what tuner would be able to do this and what would be the recommendation on a good tuner for the money?

Last edited by Coyotee; 04-09-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:39 PM
TOTM Sept. '18

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,685 Posts

The modern term for tune means to increase the power created by tweaking engine parameters. The old fashion term for tune meant to fix an engine where the performance had dropped off because of parts degrading from usage. Spark plugs, wires and if you far enough back breaker point most of the time this was called a tune up.

IMO no tune should ever be applied to an engine that has issues. It will do more harm then good and likely end the engines life even faster.

Increasing the idle speed can also be dangerous and be hard on things like the brakes and the transmission.

Mike

Last edited by OCMike; 04-09-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OCMike
The modern term for tune means to increase the power created by tweaking engine parameters. The old fashion term for tune meant to fix an engine where the performance had dropped off because of parts degrading from usage. Spark plugs, wires and if you far enough back breaker point most of the time this was called a tune up.

IMO no tune should ever be applied to an engine that has issues. It will do more harm then good and likely end the engines life even faster.

Increasing the idle speed can also be dangerous and be hard on things like the brakes and the transmission.

Mike
I understand where your coming from but when I say increase the idle rpm I'm not talking a thousand rpm, more like a couple hundred. To say that would hurt the motor I highly doubt it.(The coyote already handles 7k+ rpm with ease.) Hech, the 5.0 idles over 1k rpms a lot of times anyway on first startup. I just want enough of an increase to cover up the knock. Anything over 700rpm and it becomes much less noticeable/non exsistant.

Last edited by Coyotee; 04-09-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:25 PM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

I suppose you could get a stock or low power tune with raised idle. Not sure it’s worth the cost though...but if it bugs you that much it can be done. My idle is raised to 800rpm to fight the drag a twin screw blower causes so there’s no reason yours can’t be raised.
The following users liked this post:
Apples (04-23-2018)

Quick Reply: Tuning question