Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune and Drive Modes

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 01:32 PM

Received 401 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Tune and Drive Modes

Installed a 5 Star 93 Octane Performance Tune on my 2018 F150 Platinum with 3.73 gears today until I get my Whipple and Stainless Works exhaust installed. How does a tune affect the different drive modes that are on the 2018 F150? After the tune is there a point in switching to Sport Mode anymore?
Old 12-22-2017, 09:06 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 744 Posts

Sounds like you should be telling us I would think....
Old 01-17-2018, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mind if I revive this because I too seek an answer. Curious after getting a tune installed if the DM even works? Can switching between normal/eco/sport/tow etc. make a difference? Can you map a tune to each mode?
Old 01-17-2018, 01:14 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by thegregthomp
Mind if I revive this because I too seek an answer. Curious after getting a tune installed if the DM even works? Can switching between normal/eco/sport/tow etc. make a difference? Can you map a tune to each mode?
yes...and it depends on the tuner and what you ask of them. You can map each drive mode differently to a certain degree (I don't know what that degree is)

On my particular tune, the regular and T/H mode has a much more linear throttle tip-in. however Sport mode has a more aggressive tip-in, so that the throttle opens quicker off the line. Makes it feel much "snappier". Sport mode also holds the revs longer before shifting. T/H is similar in strategy to stock. In that it takes the improved regular mode and makes shifting and engine braking more aggressive.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by SixShooter14
yes...and it depends on the tuner and what you ask of them. You can map each drive mode differently to a certain degree (I don't know what that degree is)

On my particular tune, the regular and T/H mode has a much more linear throttle tip-in. however Sport mode has a more aggressive tip-in, so that the throttle opens quicker off the line. Makes it feel much "snappier". Sport mode also holds the revs longer before shifting. T/H is similar in strategy to stock. In that it takes the improved regular mode and makes shifting and engine braking more aggressive.
Thanks!, From the basic research I've done I've seen people having to change tunes with the tuner it's self before driving. From what you're saying is, you wouldn't need to do that but you could change between x amount of tunes via the drive mode button? Say a 93 octane performance tune on sport mode and a more generic tune on normal driving mode?
Old 01-17-2018, 02:12 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by thegregthomp
Thanks!, From the basic research I've done I've seen people having to change tunes with the tuner it's self before driving. From what you're saying is, you wouldn't need to do that but you could change between x amount of tunes via the drive mode button? Say a 93 octane performance tune on sport mode and a more generic tune on normal driving mode?
IDK about it changing that much. I just know the tune can have different parameter strategies for each mode. You should definitely contact your tuner if you want the drive modes to change the octane strategy...My particular tune works with any octane level, so I don't worry about it.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by SixShooter14
IDK about it changing that much. I just know the tune can have different parameter strategies for each mode. You should definitely contact your tuner if you want the drive modes to change the octane strategy...My particular tune works with any octane level, so I don't worry about it.
Thanks a lot for the help.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:44 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 744 Posts

Now that I’m tuned, it is for sure different. The stock sport setting is kinda useless imo, and mine would tap the limiter on some shifts. Now my shift rpms are up slightly in normal, and are up almost 1000rpm in sport. Sport is enjoyable now, without the poor stock gear selection.
Haven’t used Tow / Haul much yet though.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driving Mode Issues

A little over a month ago I purchased a 2018 F-150 and have already put 4,000+ miles on. In this time i've noticed that my driving mode will switch from whichever one that it is in back to normal driving mode. The local dealership current has my truck looking into it but they for some reason can not re-create the issue. It seems to be happening between every 400-600 miles. After it's noticed, I can kill the truck and then crank back up and it resets for a little while longer. Can anybody help provide some insight on what could be happening?
Old 05-01-2018, 07:22 AM

Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts

I went with the OMEGA tune from http://tuningbyoz.com this time around.

You can use any octane and switch between driving modes, including towing, without changing tunes. I toasted a transmission by using a very popular tuner that tunes aggressively. this is all pay to play so, my bad and my money. I like the OMEGA and I will stick with it. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Tune and Drive Modes