Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCT X4 Pre-loaded vs. Custom

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 08:58 PM

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Default SCT X4 Pre-loaded vs. Custom

I've owned the X4 for some time -- and/but I've always used it for custom tunes on my Mustang -- therefore never paid any attention to the "canned" tune (tunes?) that I remembered are pre-loaded inside for various other vehicles (our trucks?)

Are there F-series tunes inside? One? Ten?

Are they any good? Great? Decent? Mediocre? Useless? Customizable by the owner?

How do they compare to custom tunes (i.e.: those that are created & adjusted over a 1 or 2 -week period of back-and-forth-emailing with a tuner using data-logging )?

TIA!

Last edited by ronemca; 06-07-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:48 PM

Received 487 Likes on 341 Posts

I know the tuner that does the canned tunes for SCT and Fords and he has made a bunch of updates recently. Update your tuner in Device updater (MAKE SURE YOU SET THE TRUCK BACK TO STOCK, if it's not).

give them a shot, I have heard from multiple sources, that they like the canned tunes better than custom ones from other vendors.

He does leave some options open for adjust ability dependent on vehicle.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:20 PM

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown F-150
I know the tuner that does the canned tunes for SCT and Fords and he has made a bunch of updates recently. Update your tuner in Device updater (MAKE SURE YOU SET THE TRUCK BACK TO STOCK, if it's not).

give them a shot, I have heard from multiple sources, that they like the canned tunes better than custom ones from other vendors.

I just updated my SCT Livewire and it took like an hour. Beware if you start the update make sure you have time.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:16 PM

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

That's welcome news - thank you for that reply!

And your reminder about RTS before updating the X4 is appreciated; I am aware, because I've been using it on my Mustang for 2.5 years.

My truck should be here soon - perhaps as soon as this weekend - so I'll try 'em out!
Old 06-13-2019, 12:46 PM

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

I am using a MPT tune, but yes, my SCT Livewire went through a update it took like a hour and 15 mins. I was quite surprised. I had not used it since I took it off my 12 FX4. Interesting info on the SCT tunes....I originally gave them a shot while I was waiting on my Unleashed, but not since. If I would have known I would gave them a shot before purchasing my MPT tunes.

But alas, I like the MPT tune so it tis what it tis.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:02 AM
mAsSiVeMeDiC83

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New to Ford, New to SCT

Looking for advice on good tune company utilizing the X4. 2015 F-150 5.0l, bone stock. Must be knowledgeable of/ to include my beloved E85 or flex fuel. 5 star seems like the most popular but the one rep I live chatted with rubbed me the wrong way so maybe they have too much business to have enough time to fool with me. Livernois? MPT? Any honest reviews/advice is appreciated!!! Thanks everyone
Old 06-26-2019, 11:30 AM
mAsSiVeMeDiC83

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown F-150

I flashed my 2015 5.0 with the canned 91 octane file for the first time yesterday and I am less than pleased with the results!! What are these “adjustability” options that were left open you speak of?! My X4 actually came with considerably less adjustable options than I expected per advertisement
Old 07-04-2019, 11:20 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been using the canned tunes in my 2013 5.0 and like the regular base tune the best, I did not notice much on the highest tune over it. Went back to stock yesterday and the truck seems lazy and the shifts are WAY off where I want them to be. Did a update and it took over an hour so maybe this will help.

Quick Reply: SCT X4 Pre-loaded vs. Custom