Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you are tune shopping, or feel like there is more out there (SSI)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 12:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If you are tune shopping, or feel like there is more out there (SSI)

I am a long time member, low post count. This should hopefully show that I am not overly opinionated and only speak when I feel like it could actually benefit my other F150 alumni. I am a master certified tech, and former motorcycle road racer. I like speed and know vehicles. I decided to give history to validate that I can at least change my own oil, if not more.....I am posting this for the sole purpose of hopefully saving someone time and money that I wish I would have. I won't get into any arguments, so don't expect a response. I ran a very popular tune in my 2013 FX4 5.0 for about 4 years and was pretty content with what was given to me after my customizing. As I started running higher tier tunes, the truck started to take on a legitimate 2 stroke personality. It seemed to be pretty flat until 3,000 rpm, then it immediately felt like you sprayed nitrous and it ran like a scalded ape. Once I put 35" inch tires on, it exaggerated it, and became annoying. I was also really wanting at least decent torque. I finally decided to try someone else reluctantly as I was comfortable that the original tuner at least had a safe tune. The second company was slow on delivering tunes, but I got a 91 tune and loaded it up. It immediately had noticeably more torque. The first drive seemed promising. After living with it for a few days, the new wore off and my spidey senses started going to work. The tune did have a good bottom end, but the rush after 3,000 rpm was gone. It was nice and linear, but it would have been better with that top end rush of the first tuner. I asked for a revision to the shift points and one was delivered , but again, slowly. The revision was positive, but I still wanted a few more tweaks. I sent an email and didn't hear anything for over a week. I sent a follow up, and no response, so I placed a call. I eventually received the revision. During this waiting time, I grew disappointed. I knew there was a strong bottom end available, as well as a strong top end, just not in the same tune. The lack of response from my second tuner prompted me to call Shawn at SSI. I was blunt and grilled him about customer service, tune safety, revision, data logging etc. If he got my money, he was going to earn it. I needed to vet him. About 30 minutes after my inquiry through his site, I got a call. I was surprised. All the other tuners answered my call, but none called me. I cut to the case and told him what I was looking for, that I was a master tech for 21 years and could help with the revisions if he would let me know what parameters he was working with. He freely explained what his tables looked like and agreed to work with me to get me what I wanted, not just close enough. I was reluctant to spend more cash again on a chance, but this guy was confident, transparent, and said everything I wanted to hear that was different from what I usually hear. I purchased the SSi1 and SSi2. and literally had the new tune in 45 minutes (at night). I loaded the SSi2 and went for a drive. I was shocked. Never mind that it had on demand torque, whenever, it was freakishly smooth. Not just the shifts. On/off throttle including getting back on the gas after a short decal were ridiculously silky. Then there was the shifts, it is a different experience than I had ever experienced. I read about the electric feel of his tune, but it was real. It was like putting insoles in a brand new pair of boots. It was peaceful, but faster than ever. I then received a call even later to ask how I liked it and if there were any changes I wanted, to not hesitate to ask. I am still getting used to it, and learned behaviors of letting the driveline hit happen under light throttle, the getting on it is still subconsciously happening, but not at all needed. The truck feels like an old school big block that revs to 6500 now. There is real torque as soon as the throttle is cracked. No hesitation in the power band at all. The SSi1 is even smoother, and just a little more tame. I am very picky, so I asked for some shift point changes an within the hour, they were in my email. Anyone who is torn, I hope takes my experience to save money, and ultimately end up with a very powerful truck that has a better driving experience than you could believe was possible, and not be banging shifts like a highschooler, please give Shawn a call. You will NOT be disappointed.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:33 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Good feedback. Have you looked at your tune to see if the knock-sensors have been disabled?
The following users liked this post:
chimmike (11-09-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 05:37 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

LOL.

Would you mind mentioning who the other tuners you had tried were so we have a point of reference? I've got 5Star and Unleashed tunes so I know how those are.

SSI has basically been run off the other forum because of unsafe tunes(see post above mine). I dont have personal experience with them but I also dont care if I have my truck turned up to 11. I run my 5star 87 octane tow tune 95% of the time because its SO good for towing since they actually tested it with a trailer and dialed in the shifting to perfection. It doesnt have great top end, but you dont need that towing.

Last edited by mass-hole; 11-08-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:56 PM

I don't think I want to name anyone, cause all of them gave performance increases. This was more of just an acknowledgement of a really good performing tune that met all of my needs and great customer service. I did read some of the posts, and there is no real evidence that concerns me about him or his tunes. I am not sure about the knock sensor question yet. I did hook my scanner up and what I saw made me feel good about it. An automotive scanner doesn't give you all the insight into a tune, but does give you some info, and i'm not concerned. Will log later, but for no other reason than to fine tune. Need more time. Crazy busy right now.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shawn doesn't disable the knock sensors. He changes how they are used. Set for individual instead of global. My tuner for my wife's Explorer Sport Ecoboost does the same thing. What sucks is that most strategies don't let you log individual kr, so it just shows 0 for KR. I tried using Shawn for the Ecplorer, but I got detonation and he was not getting back to me. His tune was too aggressive for my wife's daily and I HATED the fact that he had the throttlebody wide open when the actual throttle angle was less than 50%. If I want WOT, I will put my foot on the floor. It hit 2nd so hard it would hop the front tires before the back kicked in and have a ton of torque steer. Now, with all thst said, I may try him for my newly acquirec 2012 F150 5.0. My Hemi Ram burned up in Coffee Park in the Santa Rosa wildfire along with my house, my prised 530rwhp 93 Stang, motorcycles, and everything. Anyway, my buddy bailed me out by giving me a great deal on his 2012 Lariat Screw 6.5' bed 4wd. I had planned to replace the Ram with an F150 Eco after the Explorer was paid off, but I had to fo it soon. The Explorer is way more powerful, but I need that Coyote V8 sound since I lost my Stang. Anyway, hopefully Shawn will give me a deal since he never gave me a usable tune for the Explorer. AJP Turbo (Brad) has been awesome getting me a great tune for the Ex, but not sure of his experience with the 5.0. He had a super smooth tune that ran 13.55 in the Explorer. A fellow racer has sworn by Shawn for years with 3 different ecos. His 15 ran 12.60!! He can't tune 17 yet. I was going to start with MPT through American Muscle because the tunes are only $50 more. Figure that is worth a try. Ant experience with them? I would love more low end grunt. The Explorer at 2500-3000 rpm has gobs more torque than the 5.0. I need to at least get this thing to run 14.60 since thst is whst my Ram did. Plan on a custom Magnaflow cat back, tune, and at least a K&N drop in.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:38 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeflyer
I don't think I want to name anyone, cause all of them gave performance increases. This was more of just an acknowledgement of a really good performing tune that met all of my needs and great customer service. I did read some of the posts, and there is no real evidence that concerns me about him or his tunes. I am not sure about the knock sensor question yet. I did hook my scanner up and what I saw made me feel good about it. An automotive scanner doesn't give you all the insight into a tune, but does give you some info, and i'm not concerned. Will log later, but for no other reason than to fine tune. Need more time. Crazy busy right now.
You wont name anyone else but have no problem naming SSI. I see where this is headed ........
Old 11-09-2017, 04:44 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

Anyone who messes with knock sensors to do anything other than monitor them should be treated with care. Especially in a forced induction application.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:06 PM

If I didn't name SSI, you wouldn't know who to talk to.... I am not starting a flavor war. There is nothing good that will come from me mentioning anyone. I just reported on my experience with SSI and their tune. It sucks that trying to pay it forward will get your integrity questioned nowadays. This is why I only have 9 posts in 5 years.
isthatahemi (12-10-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 05:18 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

chimmike (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

Let’s not turn this into anything that it doesn’t need to be ladies and gents. Customers are allowed and encouraged to give reviews.