Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failure Reading Stock File with MPVI2 and Whipple CAL

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 02:04 AM

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Failure Reading Stock File with MPVI2 and Whipple CAL

@OCMike @Ecks @JSEDECKER and anyone else,

Hey guys... have any of you tried to do a stock read (flash read) on your MPVI2 with the latest H Whipple Cal?

I ordered a tune from Ken, tried to do my stock read and am having issues.

I have tried over 10 times with no success. I have the truck on a charger trickling and charging as needed. AC, Radio, Lights off, doors closed. Wifi is off, I am on Ethernet with a 125meg down, 12meg up and 14ms response time during a speed test.

The error I am getting is below. I have tried with the latest production and beta versions VCM. Also tried with Windows 7 and Windows 10. It will vary when it fails, I have made it as far as 49% and as short as 5% (or less). The only thing I have not tried yet is a true Windows machine, I run windows on VMs in the latest version of Fusion on my Mac. I have a buddy bringing a Win10 Laptop tomorrow to try.

I did send an email to HPTuners Support to see if they have any ideas. Also to Ken, he thought maybe sketchy WiFi, while I know my WiFi is top notch as I run 4 Aruba APs (enterprise grade gear and I am a Network Security Engineer in real life) for trial and errors sake I tried it on ethernet disabling my WiFi. Same results.

Any thoughts?

Old 02-03-2019, 09:26 AM

Received 801 Likes on 530 Posts

Not sure how much help i would be. Mines still brand new im box lol. Curious to see if it's the window's laptop thing. Definitely keep us posted.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:52 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

I’ve had trouble unlocking the processor a few times with my SCT and pulling the negative battery terminal for 30 minutes has worked.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by mass-hole
I’ve had trouble unlocking the processor a few times with my SCT and pulling the negative battery terminal for 30 minutes has worked.
I would think I would not get anywhere at all if that were the case. I have gotten as far as 49% over 12 minutes of reading before it failed.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:46 PM

OK so it must be something with the interaction between the Mac - Fusion - Windows... I was able to complete the Stock Read with a dedicated Windoze Machine.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:45 AM

Received 612 Likes on 439 Posts

No surprise there, VM interaction when you need low level hardware access are always suspect. Did you pass it through to the VM when attempting it?
Old 02-04-2019, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by w00t692
No surprise there, VM interaction when you need low level hardware access are always suspect. Did you pass it through to the VM when attempting it?
Yes, I don't have a dedicated Windows box, so all my Windows and Linux needs are handled by VMWare Fusion. I have used it successfully with UART and USB intensive operations so not sure what HPTuners is doing differently. Tuned my 6.0 with SCT, PHP and Edge with no issues over the years of course sometimes it was a struggle to get drivers working.

Heck I even tried legacy compatibility modes in VMWare along with USB 2.0 and 3.0 emulations.

I have an older MAC that I could try Bootcamp on, that might be a cheap solution if all the drivers work.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:52 PM
Blown Member

Received 185 Likes on 152 Posts

Have you downloaded the lastest beta software from HP Tuners site?

Never mind. I see that you have.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:04 PM
Blown Member

Received 185 Likes on 152 Posts

VMs can sometimes have problems with some apps. 99+% of the time they work perfect but every now and then there can be a problem. You will know for sure if the physical WIndows 10 machine works right. If not you have other problems.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by LTNBOLT
VMs can sometimes have problems with some apps. 99+% of the time they work perfect but every now and then there can be a problem. You will know for sure if the physical WIndows 10 machine works right. If not you have other problems.
Thanks... I was successful in reading it with a dedicated Windows machine. Already have the tune back from Ken ready to go. Now I just need to come up with a box I can use for HPTuner stuff.

Quick Reply: Failure Reading Stock File with MPVI2 and Whipple CAL