Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 Star Tuning vs. MPT (2018 F-150 3.5l EB)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 08:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 5 Star Tuning vs. MPT (2018 F-150 3.5l EB)

So I initially purchased 3 tunes and a BDX Tuner from 5 Star Tuning, overall, pretty good customer service, although there was a about a day delay in getting my tunes over the promised 1-3 days. I really liked the 5 star tune on my stock F-150, yet it just seemed to have that numb feeling at different parts of the power band. I enjoyed it for city driving more than highway driving because I was having some surge problems at high boost and low RPMs at around 70+ mph. All in all I felt like there was more to the truck that wasn't being tapped. So I bought an AFE Bladerunner GT Intercooler, hot and cold side pipes from AFE, an AFE 3 1/2" stage 2 intake, and a Turbosmart BOV. I had 5 star do a tune revision for the new mods and I wasn't too impressed in comparison with stock. I used the 5* tune and the BDX for about 3k miles and decided to fork out the cash for MPT tunes and an nGauge (just going to sell the BDX when I get around to it). Customer service was absolutely on point for MPT, response in emails was within 12 hrs of initial email, answered all of my questions, and laid out all of my options. I ordered the 93 PRXtreme Race tune, 93 tow/haul/ and the 91 PRXtreme tune. I installed them on my ngauge (which is drag and dropping files as opposed to using the sct device updater) in roughly 10 minutes. I went for a drive and WOW! In comparison to 5*, the tune is a completely different animal, it feels like the throttle is way more responsive, shift points are perfect, and there is exceptional power throughout the RPM range. Boost builds and drops way faster when is very nice for eliminating turbo surge on the highway and the RPMs "match" the boost much better when accelerating for more power. I haven't sent in a datalog but plan to in the next two days to see if it can be revised for improvement. Overall, I believe MPT matches my driving style much better than 5* but I just wanted to share my experience with both companies for those looking to tune their new gen 2 3.5l EB as I've seen a few posts acking about which is better.

TL;DR: 5* tunes are more conservative, less responsive unless you give it all the sauce. MPT Tunes I can noticeably feel the power throughout the RPM range and when you give it the sauce, it gives it back and makes you call it daddy.
The following users liked this post:
load97 (04-18-2020)
Old 01-23-2019, 03:01 PM

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Definitely not relevant to your post as I have a 12th gen 5.0, but my experience between 5 star and MPT was basically the same. I started with 5 star while I was stock and was relatively happy with the tune over stock tuning but as I modified more and more their tunes just seemed worse and worse. That's when I went with MPT and their tune right out of the gate was much better than the 5 star tune even after multiple revisions and data logs. MPT's service is also incredible, not that 5 stars was bad, MPT is just a little more prompt and friendly IMO.

Last edited by blue5.0; 01-23-2019 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-24-2019, 03:06 AM

Received 844 Likes on 495 Posts

Good to hear, I've had the exact opposite experience in both my 3.5 and 2.7. One thing I will say about mpt is they have a gnarly tip in/throttle response which definitely makes it feel more powerful, but 5 Star can do the same thing if you ask for it.
One thing about 5 star, like a couple other tuners, just plan on doing some datalogging and getting revisions back, they like to ramp up the power to make sure everything is meshing well with your truck .
I must be lucky as far as the replies from them, they're so quick I feel like I have my own personal tuner.

Mike at MPT is great also though.

With all that being said it's absolutely true every single truck is different and some tunes just work better with some then others and vice-versa.

Here's my 5 star tune, just pedal to the floor from a stop off idle without power braking or boost launching 😁

​​​​
Old 01-25-2019, 09:41 AM

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I have been running the MPT 91 Perf/Tow tune as my daily driver for over a month now. Have to say that I’m considering trying something else at this point. The tune feels so “jagged”...the boost comes on slowly or not at all in 1st and 2nd then slams you in 3rd gear with the throttle position being the same. It also seems to ebb and flow the boost when encountering a slight hill at freeway speeds, waits too long to downshift from 6th to 5th or 4th when towing, etc,

The 91PRX tune was awesome but I tend to tow often and just cannot be swapping tunes all the time.

I’m debating the Gearhead and 5* tunes at this point. I want it to drive like a race car yet still be dependable and safe for towing.

As has been said, MPT customer service is great.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KineKilla
I have been running the MPT 91 Perf/Tow tune as my daily driver for over a month now. Have to say that I’m considering trying something else at this point. The tune feels so “jagged”...the boost comes on slowly or not at all in 1st and 2nd then slams you in 3rd gear with the throttle position being the same. It also seems to ebb and flow the boost when encountering a slight hill at freeway speeds, waits too long to downshift from 6th to 5th or 4th when towing, etc,

The 91PRX tune was awesome but I tend to tow often and just cannot be swapping tunes all the time.

I’m debating the Gearhead and 5* tunes at this point. I want it to drive like a race car yet still be dependable and safe for towing.

Have you done any revisions?
Old 01-25-2019, 10:15 AM

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

After the truck went into limp mode a couple of weeks ago, they sent me a revised tune. I then did a little data logging and they said everything looked solid.

It has not gone into limp mode since and drives ok but just isn’t “scratching my itch”. I have a feeling it’s a shift pattern thing or a throttle tip in thing moreso than a power thing.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:32 PM

Received 428 Likes on 336 Posts

5 star makes some great tunes as they actually own and daily drive the trucks they make the tunes from.

skip More Problems Tuning
Old 01-26-2019, 01:38 PM

Received 844 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by KineKilla

Absolutely 5 star for towing tunes... and all tunes in my opinion but they do extensive real world testing and developing of their tow tunes
Old 01-28-2019, 09:25 AM

Received 989 Likes on 485 Posts

I have 5 Star's 93 perf/tow on my 2018 2.7L and have had 1 revision after about 1000 miles of 95% city deriving. It had nothing to do with the engine but the transmission tuning was a little wonky when cold and at low speeds, more so than stock (I know these 10 speed trannies don't like to be cold). I emailed them what I was experiencing and received a revision in 48 hours. So far this revision feels better/smoother than the previous. I've had nothing but good things to say about 5 Star so far. My truck is much more responsive and powerful. I'm getting the same MPG's as I did before the turn and changing to bigger tires. Also, I'm OK with them being more conservative with their tunes because I'm not looking to have to fix anything self inflicted anytime soon. I think they are trying to walk a fine line between more performance and making sure they don't break anything by turning things up too much.
The following users liked this post:
blkZ28spt (08-01-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 11:48 AM

Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Great reviews. that's the 1 thing I try to tell everyone when asking who is best. everyone's truck is different and have different goals. having tried them all myself I find 5 star as the best as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by setxathlete14:
2AF150GA (01-28-2019), KevinU (01-28-2019)

Quick Reply: 5 Star Tuning vs. MPT (2018 F-150 3.5l EB)