Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21+ V8 supercharger kits, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 21+ V8 supercharger kits, which one?

I recently discovered the supercharger kits for the coyote that are claiming massive power. I’m looking for some feedback from people who have purchased them.

I bought my truck for hauling a camper so it’s 2wd for the extra payload. Will smaller wheels and taller sticky tires get it to hook? What’s a good wheel/tire combo?

I read some comments about inconsistent tuning with some of these kits. To me, drivability is very important. Is the Ford kit just a rebranded Roush, or does it have the same refinement I get out of a stock truck?

Kits that I’m aware of:
Whipple
Roush
Ford Performance Parts
Old 03-19-2024, 03:43 PM

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

1. Ford Performance = Whipple 3.0 gen 5 plus a set of M-12405-50VDE plugs (about $150). My understanding is Ford is 100% the Whipple calibration. It drives like stock with the fewest rough edges of any aftermarket N/A or forced induction tune I've experienced.
  2. Roush is way behind in terms of tech and performance from my research (I do not have direct experience with Roush)
If you're towing regularly, I'd avoid adding boost to a stock motor.

I'll let others contribute regarding 2WD wheel/tire/suspension setup for traction.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:52 PM

Received 1,564 Likes on 996 Posts

The Roush is a solid supercharger but the intercooler and throttle body are undersized. I like mine on a 2020 but I’m running it on e85 which negates the small intercooler and I have a larger tb on order.

The Whipple sc tuning has been their Achilles heel in the past. I don’t know if ford engineered the tune on the 2021+ FP/Whipple kit like i believe they do for Roush. If so then it’s a no brainer.
The following users liked this post:
F150LL (03-21-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 06:23 AM

That’s some good advice. I think the Ford Performance one is the way to go for me. Ford must be helping with the calibration for the hardware package they choose.

For towing and boost, do you have a reason? My setup doesn’t come near the 13k rating, it’s much lighter (2k). Using all that power would just throw stuff all over the camper!
Old 03-21-2024, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by hank1510
That’s some good advice. I think the Ford Performance one is the way to go for me. Ford must be helping with the calibration for the hardware package they choose.

For towing and boost, do you have a reason? My setup doesn’t come near the 13k rating, it’s much lighter (2k). Using all that power would just throw stuff all over the camper!
I'm pretty sure lugging a load for a prolonged period makes for high EGTs which can damage parts not specifically designed for boost, like pistons/rings and catalytic converters on these vehicles.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:57 PM

I noticed a thread with claims about cats going bad, but it wasn’t clear to me what the root cause was. Someone had a 2.7 and was on their 3rd set of cats while someone else beat on his supercharged v8 regularly and never had an issue.

I suspect there’s more going on there than simply superchargers causing an issue. I don’t doubt more power could exacerbate an existing one.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:14 PM

I’ve dissected failed cats before. To me it looks like thermal shock is causing the failures. Most supercharger tunes run lean with low timing at low rpm so it’s a recipe for sudden high egt. I’ve changed my tune to get more timing and fuel at low rpm. I also upgraded to gt500 cats. If you can swap to e85, it helps the cats live as well. I’ve failed several but since these changes, so far so good for me.
The following users liked this post:
F150LL (03-21-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 10:06 PM

That makes sense to me, although still not comforting, haha. Are they ceramic or metal substrate catalysts? The ceramic ones probably have square holes and the metal ones are like rolled up cardboard. How are the gt500 ones different?

I saw that the ECM can pull power if catalyst temperature goes too high, but I’m not sure if that’s a real sensor or a virtual sensor. It’s at least some protection against having too much heat.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by hank1510
That makes sense to me, although still not comforting, haha. Are they ceramic or metal substrate catalysts? The ceramic ones probably have square holes and the metal ones are like rolled up cardboard. How are the gt500 ones different?

I saw that the ECM can pull power if catalyst temperature goes too high, but I’m not sure if that’s a real sensor or a virtual sensor. It’s at least some protection against having too much heat.
I'll defer to Mike on the substrate, but I did talk to the tuner at Whipple regarding the tune and strategy. Here is it directly from him: "...borderline spark is based on stoichiometric lambda. It will also go into COT when necessary without being over 90% pedal." COT = Cat over temp.

For context, I was asking why I was not seeing enrichment at medium throttle. Apparently tune can only be certified by CARB if enrichment begins after 90% throttle.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:43 PM

The substrate is ceramic. Mustang gt holes are hexagon and gt500 are square, not sure about f150. Gt500 “tendons” are probably twice the thickness and the cell count is much lower. I have the numbers somewhere…

cat protect just enriches it when calculated cat temp exceeds a threshold, usually around 1650 deg. And yes, power enrichment isn’t typically until 90% pedal, which is scary because your already at wot by 90% peddle.

Quick Reply: 21+ V8 supercharger kits, which one?