Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

What is this suppose to do

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:35 PM

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Default What is this suppose to do

2018 5.0 4100 miles

What exactly does this circlular junction of sorts under my hand in the first picture do? 4 lines meet here. I know one connects to the brake booster and on that same line another line goes off which runs to the vacuum resevoir box for the IWEs ,one goes to the intake, the other two somewhere around the engine. Is it simply a funky looking way to organize those lines or is it some type of breather or check valve?
Reason I ask because there is a noticeable non stop hiss from that plastic part that stops when I get my hands around it right. I’m having some intermittent dragging feel/ under powered type issues that seem to get better if I pump my brakes a bit at a stand still and as I said one goes to the brake booster. I’ve been waiting on some new part since January to replace this whole assembly but was curious if this part was actually functional in some way and maybe it’s not “leaking”. Before I made a big stink with Ford on the ridiculous wait on the part because my issues seem to be getting worse, I wanted to make sure I wasn’t waisting my time. Any help very much appreciated. I can post a video of the clear on and off hiss as I cover it up if needed. It’s very evident in the video as it’s so high pitched. Thanks!

Last edited by Zack23434; 03-21-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:54 PM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 677 Likes on 494 Posts

This is a guess but the other pats I have seen that look like that are a check valve so your vacuum won't bleed down once the engine is shut off. If you take the hose off the you should be able to suck air through one side (or multiple depending on how it is set up) but not the other.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Scott91370
This is a guess but the other pats I have seen that look like that are a check valve so your vacuum won't bleed down once the engine is shut off. If you take the hose off the you should be able to suck air through one side (or multiple depending on how it is set up) but not the other.
Should I be able to stop a hiss wrapping my hand around that even if it’s a check valve? Is it possible it’s designed in a way where it does this?
If not I just wonder if it’s the reason I’m having these issues. I can’t understand how I’ve been waiting 3 months for this assembly.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:29 AM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 677 Likes on 494 Posts

It shouldn't leak at all. Do you see a crack in the plastic or are one of the hoses loose?
Old 03-21-2019, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Scott91370
It shouldn't leak at all. Do you see a crack in the plastic or are one of the hoses loose?
It seems to be where the plastic comes together to(Where the circles stack). If I rub moisture all over it and wrap my hand around it you can feel very cool air.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:48 PM

Video of it

Old 03-21-2019, 07:14 PM

Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

Wrap several layers of electrical tape tightly around it and see if the hissing stops. Then drive it and see if your issues clear up. Note* Electrical tale can be removed pretty easily whereas duct tape cannot. That's why I suggest the electrical tape.

Quick Reply: What is this suppose to do