Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

What to look for in a 2013 Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for in a 2013 Ecoboost

I bought a 2013 Ecoboost about a month ago as my first truck. I admittedly don't know too much about what to check and keep an eye on with this type of vehicle. As far as I can tell, it's in great shape and has been very smooth. However, I want to make sure that I can detect any problems before they arrive.

If you had just bought a truck around 90-100k miles what would you test/look for?

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you investigated the chance of a Ford extended warranty from one of the lower priced online dealers, like Ziegler or Flood Ford ? You may have to have the truck inspected by a Ford dealer, but if you are in the market for 7 year old vehicles with that kind of miles and you cannot handle any breakdowns, maybe you are talking yourself out of a used vehicle.

You might anticipate more breakdowns in the second 69,000 miles than in the first, for sure.

Bought my 2011 3.5 with 33000 miles 4 years and 90,000 miles ago, bought the Ford ESP from Flood Ford just before the factory warranty expired, and the only real major repair was the Electronic Power Assisted Steering replacement (EPAS) nearly a year ago that paid for the whole warranty. I still have 6 months to go and 30,000 miles before it runs out.

And I would do the same thing again.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

And I meant to add that when I quizzed the service writer about the likelihood of having to do the timing chain issue, he said since I have my oil and filter religiously changed at the dealership with Motorcraft filter and syn blend Motorcraft oil, it was far less likely. He says most of the early failures are do-it-yourselfers with non Motorcraft oil and filters and maybe too infrequent changes.

Some folks take the 10,000 mile oil change intervals as good maintenance practice.

Quick Reply: What to look for in a 2013 Ecoboost