Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

What have I gotten myself into! 2005 5.4l timing issues. Do I need a new motor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What have I gotten myself into! 2005 5.4l timing issues. Do I need a new motor?

I just bought a used truck from someone I live next to. Everything seemed fine until the truck was warmed up and started shaking at idle. I did a quick oil change but didn’t see any improvements. I then pulled the VCT solenoids and noticed they had metal shavings in them. Because of this I figured I was having issues with my phasers or my tensioners.

I decided this was too much work for me to try to take on myself so I took my truck into a shop. They just called me today and said my Oil pressure is also reading somewhat low. Because of this they don’t want to rebuild the timing but rather put in a remanufactured engine. Does this sound right to you guys? Could it be that my disintegrated cam tensioners are blocking my oil screen? I can’t afford a new engine but I also can’t afford to not have my truck. It sounds like it might be a gamble to just do the timing while showing low oil pressure.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:34 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

This video covers all of your concerns.
The following users liked this post:
donny1584 (06-26-2021)

Quick Reply: What have I gotten myself into! 2005 5.4l timing issues. Do I need a new motor?