Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Weird brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird brake problem

I have a 2004 heritage built in Canada. I do most of my own work on it and my other vehicles if it's not too complicated.

Recent issue I've been having with it is that it pulls to the right when braking which leads me to think that a caliper most likely is not engaging properly.

But here's the weird part that has me a little confused: It drives and brakes normally all the way up to the last 2 or 3 seconds of a full stop then the pedal vibrates slightly and the truck pulls to the right. If i have the windows down, I can hear this vibration outside also, almost like a buzzing sound. I did the front pads and rotors around 6 months ago and everything was fine. Could this be a booster or master cylinder problem?
Old 12-06-2018, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an anti-lock issue , dirty or bad wheel sensor maybe.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:29 PM

Yea this sounds exactly like the ABS problem I had. I had to replace both front wheel speed sensors.

My problem was that ABS would activate as soon as I dropped below a certain speed when applying the brakes, or if I even feathered the brakes while moving slowly. Something with the wheel speed sensors reading inaccurately when moving slowly due to dirt and grime.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,126 Likes on 2,832 Posts

agree with the ABS being the root cause, see if you can source a scan tool that can read the wheel speeds, not sure if that year uses a physical tone ring or is a magnetic signal off the exciter ring in the hub
Old 12-16-2018, 11:27 AM

I never thought about the ABS being the problem. I have another vehicle with an ABS light on but it's not acting the same way. Shouldn't I have a light on with this truck?
Old 12-16-2018, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2004CanadianHeritage
I never thought about the ABS being the problem. I have another vehicle with an ABS light on but it's not acting the same way. Shouldn't I have a light on with this truck?
Not necessarily , your ABS is functioning but it could be getting false readings from your wheel sensor making it engage when it shouldn't, this wouldn't cause an ABS indicator light to display.

Quick Reply: Weird brake problem