Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Two issues with my new to me 08 F150 XL

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two issues with my new to me 08 F150 XL

I just got a 08 F150 XL 5 speed manual 4.2L V6. Under the glove box is the air conditioning thingy and where it connects to the firewall is a piece of rubbery foam. This piece of foam gets completely saturated and starts dripping on the floor of the truck when the air is on. The air system works great, really great actually but im worried this dripping could be an underlying issue and im also worried it could rust a hole through the floor of the truck if left alone. Anyone familiar with this issue or know how to address it?

My second issue is the exhaust is rattling at idle. Its coming from the front under the cab area. I dont believe this is a issue with function of the truck but its annoying that The truck would sound perfect if not for the rattle. It makes it sound like the truck is not taken care of and I take care of my things and wish to eliminate the rattle. What should I be looking for? Loose hangers? Loose heat shields?

I bought this truck privately so no warranty work and I cant afford to take it to a shop. Ive always done my own work on vehicles and am very handy when it comes to vehicle maintenance. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:12 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

The A/C drain runs through the grommet in the fire wall...there is a TSB with a fix for the drain which replaces the outside drain pipe with an elbow fitting.. pain in the *** to get to.. I had to pull the wheel well liner which made it very easy to get to. The rattle may be a loose heat shield...got to get under it and bang on stuff to see what's loose.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
The rattle may be a loose heat shield...got to get under it and bang on stuff to see what's loose.

Edit: Figured out the rattle issue. The engine hoist point on the motor had snapped at one of the points it was bolted to the motor. I just removed it and put the bolts back in place and snugged em down.

Also thanks for the tip about the A/C drain. Makes me feel good that its not an underlying issue of the A/C failing.

The explanation for the A/C makes sense but ill take anyone elses Ideas if its even possible it could be leaking for a different reason.

Last edited by stonemxfa369; 09-14-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
there is a TSB with a fix for the drain which replaces the outside drain pipe with an elbow fitting..
This the TSB you speak of? http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fo..._150727_A1.pdf

I imagine this specific bulletin was made before the issue arose with the 2008 model considering its saying that this issue is for the 04-06 models. Do I need to contact a local ford dealer to get the elbow? Is it a free recall part?
Old 09-14-2015, 06:47 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by stonemxfa369
This the TSB you speak of? http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fo..._150727_A1.pdf

I imagine this specific bulletin was made before the issue arose with the 2008 model considering its saying that this issue is for the 04-06 models. Do I need to contact a local ford dealer to get the elbow? Is it a free recall part?
thats the one.. and no it's not free.. only re-calls are free... but you can do it yourself..

Quick Reply: Two issues with my new to me 08 F150 XL