Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Truck starting problems problems - is it really the key??

Old 05-17-2019, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck starting problems problems - is it really the key??

2002 Ford F-150, 4.6L

I’m having a starting issue. Truck seems to crank fine but doesn’t start for several seconds.

I had the fuel pump and alternator replaced in 2015. The mechanic said today he couldn’t blow through the fuel filter so they replaced that, but said the problem still persisted. They think it has something to do with my key and the stock anti-Theft system. They say the key could have been damaged causing the the truck to not recognize the key.

The only flaw I see in that theory is they had my spare key. A key that is never used, never dropped, and sits in a cabinet. If there was a battery in the key, I could understand they both died about the same time, but it’s a passive chip.

Has anyone experienced this? I don’t want to get new keys from Ford only to find out that didn’t fix the problem.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:49 AM

Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts

check and see what the theft light does when cranking. if it is a key issue, the theft light will either flash, or stay on.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 20004.6
check and see what the theft light does when cranking. if it is a key issue, the theft light will either flash, or stay on.
I turned the key to the ON position, waited for the Theft light to turn off. Turned the key to start, took 3-4 seconds for the engine to start. Theft light never came on once it turned off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck starting problems problems - is it really the key??