Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

truck making flapping sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry truck making flapping sound

i just put my 1998 ford f150 in the shop for a exhaust leak.they said both exhaust manifolds are shot and need replaced,plus muffler.so i had both replaced and new pipe from catylic converter to tail pipe replaced plus a new magnaflow muffler.labor 546.00 parts 450.00 so over a grand dropped on this.i got my truck back yesterday and still hear that damn farting noise.now he is telling me my catylic converter is leaking and its another 400.00 i told him no thanks.i feel like for what i spent my truck should be sounding decent it still sounds like crap.can i just cut the cat off?since i got a decent muffler?were i live there is no echeck to pass.or will this make my truck way to loud?im done sinking money into muffler shops.i want to finish this project on my own.any advice would be appreciated. thanks
Old 03-19-2013, 12:03 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mrdazed
i just put my 1998 ford f150 in the shop for a exhaust leak.they said both exhaust manifolds are shot and need replaced,plus muffler.so i had both replaced and new pipe from catylic converter to tail pipe replaced plus a new magnaflow muffler.labor 546.00 parts 450.00 so over a grand dropped on this.i got my truck back yesterday and still hear that damn farting noise.now he is telling me my catylic converter is leaking and its another 400.00 i told him no thanks.i feel like for what i spent my truck should be sounding decent it still sounds like crap.can i just cut the cat off?since i got a decent muffler?were i live there is no echeck to pass.or will this make my truck way to loud?im done sinking money into muffler shops.i want to finish this project on my own.any advice would be appreciated. thanks
If you cut the cat out it will cause the check engine light to come on. It will not hurt how the truck runs at all. Yes it will be louder, how loud depends on the muffler you have. My truck is VERY loud with 2 14" Magnaflows on it.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:00 PM

ya my check engine light was on before i had the work done.its off now.but if having it on is the only issue..i can live with that
Old 03-23-2013, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by mrdazed
Cutting the cat out may cause your truck to consume more fuel due to your engine light on and engine running in open loop but if your engine light was on before you might not even notice it.

Quick Reply: truck making flapping sound