Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Transmission,rearend, and front end

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission,rearend, and front end

I want to flush the trans and also the transfercases. How hard is it to do? I am gettin to about 50,000 miles so I was guessing it was about time to do it.
thanks,
Randy
Old 01-21-2010, 01:21 PM

i would like to know too its never been done. Supposedly the rear end and front is for life says ford but idk about that
Old 01-22-2010, 08:46 AM

In speaking to some ford service techs not to long ago in reference to the same question. If you havent changed the trans fluid - leave it alone. Was told to just add to it if low. It seems as soon as you change the trans filter and fluid here come the problems.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by firedawg70
In speaking to some ford service techs not to long ago in reference to the same question. If you havent changed the trans fluid - leave it alone. Was told to just add to it if low. It seems as soon as you change the trans filter and fluid here come the problems.
yeah i've heard that by a couple of different mechanics it kind of scares my so what do we do just sit around waiting to blow our trans. it might give me an excuss to get a dana
Old 01-26-2010, 09:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRed95
I want to flush the trans and also the transfercases. How hard is it to do? I am gettin to about 50,000 miles so I was guessing it was about time to do it.
thanks,
Randy

Well, not sure on the 2001, but I have a 2005 stx. Flushed the tranny fluid 6,000 miles ago and just did the transfercase fluid 3 days ago. Have had no problems with the tranny since. Actually both were a piece of cake in my opinion. Refilling the transfercase was a little tricky because the fill plug is on the side not the top and you need a flexible funnel to get into the tight space. I used Castrol Mercon V for the tranny and Mobil 1 ATF for the transfer case. I am going to be changing the front diff fluid soon, and maybe the rear diff this spring. Although Ford says the rear diff fluid is permanent.

Quick Reply: Transmission,rearend, and front end