Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission?

i was driving my 13 F150 XLT w/ 80K mikes this weekend when I noticed my Transmission fluid temperature gauge getting dangerously close to red. Checking the digital readout on the dash showed a temp of 242 degrees. I can't speak for miles 0-58k, but I have never used the truck for towing. Wondering what could cause this? No other symptoms like slipping, noises, or any other normal transmission issue. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:44 PM

Anyone? Still having this issue
Old 08-29-2017, 05:47 PM

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

what was your coolant temp looking like? Do you have the aux trans cooler? Was it a one time thing?
Old 08-29-2017, 07:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Likely a clog in the coolant lines or aux cooler. Can try disconnecting them on the side of the trans and running 10psi air through it. See if it comes out the other line. If it doesnt disconnect the lines from the cooler and radiator. Check lines individually. If nothing comes out you got a clog in the lines. If it does come out you likely have a clog in the aux cooler. Try 10psi there also.

That fluid is probably toast tho. Not a good idea to run burnt trans fluid. Drain pan, replace filter (normally comes w new rubber pan gasket) replace fluid

Be sure to hit the lines w PB Blaster before trying to break them loose, they love to seize up and break. Similar to brakelines.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:19 PM

Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts

Thermal bypass valve possibly stuck in the trans.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by 12B302
what was your coolant temp looking like? Do you have the aux trans cooler? Was it a one time thing?
Temp would get to around 240 and then fan would come on and stay there. That was on a long trip though. I have not let it get that high since my daily commute is only 5 miles round trip.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Spanky666
Likely a clog in the coolant lines or aux cooler. Can try disconnecting them on the side of the trans and running 10psi air through it. See if it comes out the other line. If it doesnt disconnect the lines from the cooler and radiator. Check lines individually. If nothing comes out you got a clog in the lines. If it does come out you likely have a clog in the aux cooler. Try 10psi there also.

That fluid is probably toast tho. Not a good idea to run burnt trans fluid. Drain pan, replace filter (normally comes w new rubber pan gasket) replace fluid

Be sure to hit the lines w PB Blaster before trying to break them loose, they love to seize up and break. Similar to brakelines.
thanks for your suggestion. I will try that out.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by 20004.6
Thermal bypass valve possibly stuck in the trans.
I will see if there is a clog first, but is there anyway to test if bypass valve is stuck? Isn't that located between valve body and pump?
Old 08-30-2017, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Spanky666

Thanks for your suggestion. Took it to a trusted transmission shop today and after driving it around some, I got the transmission temp gauge close to the yellow line and the digital readout gauge to show 242 degrees. Computer hooked up show the same temperature; however using a digital infrared thermometer, the shop got readings of 180 on the pan, 190 on the outgoing cooler line and 174 on the incoming cooler line. All those seem normal, correct? Any other ideas?
Old 08-30-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Clemsoneddie
I will see if there is a clog first, but is there anyway to test if bypass valve is stuck? Isn't that located between valve body and pump?
Yes it is located between valvebody and pump. There is no real way to test it.