Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny issues

Hey Guys, I have 2004 FX4, 166,000 on it I bought it used. Recently I feel the transmission has been slipping because it will not go anywhere in drive but it will go in reverse. My question is, is this a transmission issue, if so would it be better to have it rebuilt or drop a new one in it. 1,800 for a new one and 1,100 to have it rebuilt. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I don't know anything about the transmissions for the 2004,s on any issues with them.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

I hope you read this before you make a decision. I have a feeling you already have.

For these older trucks, I do not think there are any "new" just old ones that have been overhauled with new parts. I had the same problem but at 90k miles. I went with a Jasper Transmission for $3600 installed. It has a 100k/3yr "warranty". I had to have it swapped out again because it was bucking....... that cost me another 500$ because they only paid $50/hr labor costs. So I recommend not doing that.

If you are going to keep it, I would take it to a place to fix it and they need to stand behind it so that if you have to take it back or have issues, its all on them. The Jasper I bought or a "new" one will have to have a 3rd party install and they all point fingers at each other when something isn't right. I hope you read this!

-Kevin
Old 07-31-2014, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Kel, Thanks for the advice, which I took. My wifes cousin has a shop and he rebuilt it for me and put a new Fly wheel on it for me, all for 1100. I feel good about that, once again thanks alot.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're welcome and good to hear.... I went the worst way possible... Glad to hear you did not!

-Kevin

Quick Reply: Tranny issues