Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Torsion bar tension

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Gol4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torsion bar tension

This 1998 f150 is my first 4x4. I had to replace a leaking clutch slave cylinder. After reading many threads about removing the torsion keys I was ready. I raised the front end on jack stands so both wheels were off the ground. I counted and marked the threads on the bolts and removed the bolts for the keys. At this time I got my 2 jaw puller and expected a fight removing the tension to get the nuts out. Surprisingly there was very little tension and I was able to easily remove the nuts. I probably could have lifted the Key with leverage from a screwdriver to remove the nuts. There was that little tension. They make a special tool for this task and I’ve read of people breaking C-clamps doing this.
Getting the keys off the bar was a fight with PB blaster and an air hammer but they eventually came off. I replaced the keys back in the same position as I removed them. My question is, Should there have been a lot more tension on those Keys? Is it possible someone may have done some previous work and installed the keys in the wrong position? Off by one notch. My truck rides, sits and handles fine and the front is level with the back. So I have to wonder why so little tension.

Quick Reply: Torsion bar tension