Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Thumping Sound from Roush CAI

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thumping Sound from Roush CAI

A few days ago I started noticing a strange, muffled, thumping sound coming from the engine area of my truck as I started it (See YouTube link below). It doesn't matter if the truck is cold or hot, the noise is present at idle just seconds after starting the engine. I popped the hood to get a better idea of where the noise was coming from and it sounds like it's coming from within the Roush CAI. The truck is a 2016 F-150 5.0L V8 XLT. I've had the CAI installed for roughly 6500 miles now along with an 87 Octane performance tune from MPT. Up until now I've had zero issues with them or the truck. I checked all of the connections to the intake and found nothing out of place. I took the filter and intake apart to see if there was something obstructing the air flow but found nothing. And finally I just tried reloading the 87 octane tune. But that didn't change anything either. So far I've noticed no difference in the way the truck performs or changes in idle speed. Has anyone experienced anything like this? If so, what's the issue/fix?

Old 05-19-2018, 03:27 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Well, that's odd, never heard that before. Maybe look under the housing for a small monkey playing a small set of bongos?
Old 05-19-2018, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by johnday
Well, that's odd, never heard that before. Maybe look under the housing for a small monkey playing a small set of bongos?
Hahaha I definitely haven't considered that yet.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:58 PM
Village Sociopath

LOL, I really have no idea, it would be interesting to know though. Thanks for a sense of humor.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:27 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by prime1988
A few days ago I started noticing a strange, muffled, thumping sound coming from the engine area of my truck as I started it (See YouTube link below). It doesn't matter if the truck is cold or hot, the noise is present at idle just seconds after starting the engine. I popped the hood to get a better idea of where the noise was coming from and it sounds like it's coming from within the Roush CAI. The truck is a 2016 F-150 5.0L V8 XLT. I've had the CAI installed for roughly 6500 miles now along with an 87 Octane performance tune from MPT. Up until now I've had zero issues with them or the truck. I checked all of the connections to the intake and found nothing out of place. I took the filter and intake apart to see if there was something obstructing the air flow but found nothing. And finally I just tried reloading the 87 octane tune. But that didn't change anything either. So far I've noticed no difference in the way the truck performs or changes in idle speed. Has anyone experienced anything like this? If so, what's the issue/fix?
The issue is that aftermarket noise maker you attached to the engine, the fix is to put the stock (Already CAI) back in place with a filter that won't dust the engine.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:57 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Sounds like popping back through an intake valve. Either a misfire, or crossfire (bad plug wires) or a sticking valve. Probably nothing to do with the CAI, it just acts like a megaphone making it easier to her what's happening inside.

On old chevy engines it was a pretty common noise when the cam lobe's went flat, backfiring through the carbs. What happens if you give it some throttle?
Old 05-19-2018, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by BareBonesXL
Sounds like popping back through an intake valve. Either a misfire, or crossfire (bad plug wires) or a sticking valve. Probably nothing to do with the CAI, it just acts like a megaphone making it easier to her what's happening inside.

On old chevy engines it was a pretty common noise when the cam lobe's went flat, backfiring through the carbs. What happens if you give it some throttle?
If I give it some gas the noise goes away. I don't notice it at all while cruising. It's only when the truck is at idle in park.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
The issue is that aftermarket noise maker you attached to the engine, the fix is to put the stock (Already CAI) back in place with a filter that won't dust the engine.
That's my next step in the trouble shooting process. I've just never had any kind of issue with one before.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:09 PM
Village Sociopath

I wonder what it would sound like without the tune in there? Just a thought.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:30 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Still really sounds like an old engine with bad plug wires. I used to move the wires around on my old engines to make them run better. I was a poor high school kid.

Quick Reply: Thumping Sound from Roush CAI