Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Steering gear box situation

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering gear box situation

I have an 03 F150 4.6XLT RWD. Few months back ago I was dealing with really bad wandering and quite a bit of play in steering. I replaced both upper control arms and the idler arm. The wandering had stopped but still had play in steering. Read up on some threads and like an idiot (now in time) I adjusted the steering gear box. Play was out and all was good. Not realizing my tie rods needed replacing to.
I order and received them a few days ago and replaced both inner and outer rods along with the adjusting sleeves. I pulled out of the driveway turning on to the road I knew right away something wasn't right. Pulled back in the drive way thinking it may have been the alignment and adjusted the rods. Pulled out and again pulled right back in the drive.
Getting pissed the thought came that it may be the steering box to tight. Researching more into that is when I realized what an idiot I was. I can't remember how many quarter turns I tightened the gear box. I was wondering if anyone could give me ( an idiot) good advise on how to go about fixing this problem.
Should I loosen to where I have play in wheel and adjusted from there? Should the front end be up on jack stands?

Insults are welcomed with any advice. Would be nice if this dumb*s* thing I've done won't cost me a new gear box. Good advice is much appreciated. Thank you.