Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

squeaking in the rear

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Fordmaniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeaking in the rear

i've been hearing a squeaking like noise almost sounds like something rubbing against something but i only here it when i give it gas i don't hear it after i left off and it quits after i get faster 'sometimes' anyone help me out?
Old 07-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Tactical Exploitation.

Check your tailgate where it connects to the truck. Grab with your hand and shake the tailgate. Get some WD-40 and spray a little bit on the hinge and the connections.

This is the fist place that I would check.

Does it sound like metal rubbing on something, or just a squeak?
Old 07-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Fordmaniac

well acutually it is more like a rubbing sound it sounds like metal maybe rubing together or sounds like something that wore rubbing against something else but
at first i thought it was the brakes but when i hit the brakes it does really do it.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Fordmaniac

well acutually it is more like a rubbing sound it sounds like metal maybe rubing together or sounds like something that wore rubbing against something else but
at first i thought it was the brakes but when i hit the brakes it does really do it.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:26 PM
Just drivin' Marleiya

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two questions: How fast does it squek (frequncy)? and does it only do it on acceleration or while coasting and light load as well? I had a squeek in the rear end and it was a rusty u-joint. The u-joint had no play in it, but when I pulled it off to replace it (my dedeuctive reasoning and wishful think made me believe it was the u-joint), the needle bearings inside were severely rusted. Hope this helps.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Fordmaniac

yea it only does it when i accelerate and seems like the more i accelerate the faster it squeks
Old 07-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Just drivin' Marleiya

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it were me, I'd try and replace the u-joints. I think it cost me thirty bucks for both. You should replace both because it's only a matter of time before you need to replace the other. The reasons I finally decided that it was the u-joint are as follows:

-The squeak was happening at a frequency that was too fast to be once for every rotation of the tire and perfect to fit the rotation of the driveshaft.
-My rear u-joint had rust dust all over it (a pretty good sign there's rust inside it)
-When I lifted up the rear end, I was able to recreate the squeak by turning the driveshaft by hand, but not when I turned the wheels by hand which meant there had to be pressure on the driveline to create the squeak.

You can try all these things out to help you diagnose the problem. My bet is on one of the u-joints being bad. All it takes is for one of those little rubber boots to fail and get a little water (or water + salt from winter) in there and you've got rust on your needle bearings. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:25 PM

Default same problem?

This thread looks a little old but I just started getting a similar problem with my '06 F150. It seems to squeak most often when coasting with RPMs between 1000 & 2000 & speeds under 40mph. It stops when I break and either stops or happens much less at speeds over 40mph. This morning, when coasting, I turned my wheel slightly left and right and it happened everytime I turned the wheel left (this is a very slight turn of the wheel--staying on my side of the yellow lines). The sounds follows my speed in terms of how fast the squeak/whistle is because I've heard it when I start rolling off a stop sign or red light and it's a much slower squeak when that happens vs. when coasting. Hoping to get at least some info to help narrow this. I mentioned it the last time I was at the dealer for maintenance and they gave it the cursory "look" and found nothing. I didn't ask them to drive it at that time but it's happening more often now. Just seeing if I can arm myself with info before I take it back. Thanks

Last edited by EZ96F150; 10-29-2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: not a '96, an '06
Old 10-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Fordmaniac

well i can tell you that my squeak was my u joint but yours sounds like something different if it happens more when turn your wheels might wanna get the dealer to check it out or a mechanic
Old 10-30-2009, 07:37 PM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Step out of your truck and shake your tail gate while its closed...see if thats the problem. Very common with 08's. Not sure if it goes back to the 06 models though

Quick Reply: squeaking in the rear