Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Speedometer climbs to max

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer climbs to max

Hello all.
So my issue is when i put my truck into drive or reverse as soon as i let off the brakes the speedo begins to gradually climb. My guess is at about 15 MPH real speed the speedometer says 95. The RPM's still work like normal. It does shift from 1st to 2nd, can't get the truck moving fast enough to check 3rd. If i allow it to hit the governor it will stall out. When shifting from 1st to 2nd it revs up and then shifts. If i come to a complete stop it goes back to zero like normal.

Backstory: 2003 F150, 4.6l V8, 4R70W Transmission, 2WD. 235,000 miles.
On a recent road trip the transmission made a loud clunk on the highway but continued to drive in OD. After slowing down to exit off of the highway it would no longer engage the lower gears. No other issues with truck at that time. I replaced the Transmission with another 4R70W out of a 2004 expedition 4.6l V8 2WD 115,000 miles.

After replacing the transmission the ABS light was on, the truck wouldn't shift, and speedometer climbed to max.

After a search around the vehicle i discovered the passenger ABS wheel sensor had been sliced somehow. i promptly replaced it.

After replacing the ABS sensor the ABS light went off. I put the truck in drive and the truck still wouldn't shift and the speedometer climbed to max.

I checked the transmission fluid noticed it was to full, I siphoned out some of the fluid. Now its shifting but the Speedo still climbs to max.

After researching the forums i decided to check the VSS on the rear diff, so i replaced it with a brand new one did not solve the problem. Thinking perhaps i bought a bad sensor i pulled one off my buddies identical model truck and again did not fix the issue.

I have done a hard reset on the computer, pulled all fuses and relays that have to do with the Transmission and ABS still nothing.

Before the transmission swap i had no issues with speedo. The only things that have changed is the Tranny, new VSS, new ABS wheel sensor.

Im not sure what to check or troubleshoot anymore. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Speedometer climbs to max