Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Slight Engine Knock at Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Slight Engine Knock at Acceleration

Hi Team,

I have a 2002 F150 with the 4.2 V6. Just a couple of weeks ago I noticed a slight engine knock at acceleration and only at acceleration. It doesn't seem to do it all the time, just intermittently. Haven't noticed any loss of power (knock on wood) but I'm sure something is looming on the horizon.

Replaced the fuel filter and dumped in some higher octane a few days ago but no joy. The truck has 135k miles on it and runs perfect otherwise.

Any tips on what I should look for?

Thanks all...

Mike
Old 02-26-2014, 01:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you truly have a knocking engine then there are a few simple things that should clear it up. Check your plugs and wires and replace if necessary. You a good fuel such as chevron or shell at the correct octane. Change your oil and use a pennzoil product because they have the best cleaning additives to get rid of all the carbon build up. Since you already replaced the fuel filter run a good fuel system cleaner through there such as gumout to make sure all those tiny lines are clear and flowing. Check your air filter as well and replace if necessary. When all of this is done run it hard at high rpms for a few minutes and your problem should be solved.
This is the simple way to fix a light knocking. If this does not do it you have a larger problem developing. Good Luck.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks very much for the tips! I'll give them all a shot and hope it clears.

Mike

Quick Reply: Slight Engine Knock at Acceleration