Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Running/parking/dash lights problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running/parking/dash lights problem

Hello, just posting this to see what you guys think. Moved to this thread from other section.

Ive got an 03 f150 reg cab short box and im having an issue with the running lights/parking lights/instrument lights not working. Everything else seems to work (brake,signal,headlight,fourway,radio,dome/map lights are working).

I started by checking all the fuses, all ones that did have power were hot on both side of the mini fuses. Under dash and hood.

I checked the wiring on the back of the truck, found a quick splice hooked up to the brown wire going to the light for the topper, took that off and soldered it up all nice, thought i had it in the bag...no dice, still same problem. Checked the rest of the wiring back there, looked good, took connections apart and put some dielectric grease in since i was there, still no progress. Front wiring is a lot to take in so ive come to you guys.

What i did tonight was run a hot wire from the battery right to brown wire on headlight switch connector and all running lights turned on and stayed on for 5 minutes no problem, the dash lights were not on, but maybe that was due to dimmer switch being on a different connector? ( both pugs disconnected from headlight switch at this time)

With my headlight switch connected and a voltmeter probed onto tan/white wire going into headlight switch there is 12 volts, turn to parking lights and the power vanishes to 0 volts on said tan/white wire. I did try another headlight switch from a salvage yard and same sad story. I put an ohmmeter on the switch and i think my headlight switch is okay (shows open circuit when switch is off and 0.5 ohm when parking lights position.

Im not sure what to make of this and hopefully ive written it on here clearly enough for you folks to understand and hopefully let me in on some insight/knowledge of your own,

Thanks, Lee

Last edited by 03xlsport; 02-26-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:20 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Are you going by a wiring diagram for your truck? If so can you post it? Otherwise I have know idea what you're looking at and can't really help.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey folks, just thought id update on this topic for possible future readers.

4stroke- i dont have diagrams, im just going by what i leanrt from reading many previous threads.

Well the Issue ended up being the tan/white wire a few inches down from its fuse in the fuse box under the hood.

What appeared to happen was some critter chewed off the coating at a few different spots on a couple of wires exposing the bare wires. The tan/white wire was corroded enough to show voltage but unable to carry any load when asked to power the lights.

Truck sat for a few months while i was away and about 6 months after i started driving it again this happened when it became damp nasty weather.

Cut out the bad spots and soldered in fresh wires, now its all working properly.

Its frustrating finding the problem but finding the solution yourself is quite refreshing lol

Last edited by 03xlsport; 03-02-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:51 AM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

Good work!