Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

RPM drops to 0 after driving at high speeds/on interstate for extended period

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM drops to 0 after driving at high speeds/on interstate for extended period

Hello! I have a 2016 F150 XLT 5.0L V8. I’ve been having some troubles recently after I drive on the interstate or at higher speeds for a long period of time. When I’m on the interstate, there are no problems. However, when I get off an exit and get stopped at a stop light/sign, my RPM drop to 0 and the truck loses power. Prior to losing power, the truck sort of “jumps forward” like it’s still wanting to go and not stop. I have to turn it off and then turn it back on for it to fix again. Even when I restart, the problem doesn’t go away until I drive at lower speeds for awhile. The only work around that I’ve found is to put one food on the brake and sort of rev the engine with my other foot. If I do that, the truck does not lose any power.

This problem doesn’t happen at all when I am simply driving around town or anything. Only when I go from higher speeds to lower speeds.

Truck has 130,000 miles and has never had spark plugs replaced. Not sure if that could be the issue. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: RPM drops to 0 after driving at high speeds/on interstate for extended period